Author Topic: Douglas Fur Arrows  (Read 5061 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Douglas Fur Arrows
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:23:09 pm »
I went to Lowes a couple nights ago to see if they had any clean pine to make some arrows. I got a Veritas dowell cutter a few months ago and haven't had time to use it yet. When I got there and started looking through the select boards, I ran across some douglas fur boards with dead straight tight grain. I ripped them today and will make my first attempt at spinning them through the dowell maker tomorrow. I took a few picks and will post them in the next couple of days. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Douglas Fur Arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:51:15 pm »
Take some scrap of your stock and use it to perfect your technique with the dowel cutter. I haven' used one but I've heard it takes a little fine tuning to get it working just right.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:49:28 am »
i have some 23/64 doug fir shafts and they are awesome

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:16:32 am »
Thanks for the tips, fellas. Here are a couple of pics.

I will be curious to see what kind of spine I get out of these. If the first batch works out, they had a bunch of these in stock with similar grain. This 1X6 board 6 feet long was about 7 bucks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:39:33 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 09:21:29 am »
Looks good Kenny. Fir is usually a bit stronger than POC.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:18:15 am »
Thanks, Chris. When I get them sanded parallel, I will check the spine. I hope to be able to rig up a taper jig and taper them down to 5/16 on the nock end...spine permitting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 01:09:49 pm »
You will probably get a wide range of spines even from the same board. After the shafts are made you'll have to put them in groups of spine and physical weight.
 I made a simple jig for tapering the back 9" to 11" of shafts. I can post pics for you here or send you an email with pics and a description of what you use and how it works. I've tapered a few poplar shafts with great results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 01:13:43 pm »
Yeah, Pat, I had seen some of your posts about that. I have watched a couple of YouTube vids with varying techniques, but would love to see your method.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 05:21:17 pm »
I made this with one 1x4x36" red oak board from Lowe's and a few stove bolts, washers and wing nuts. The sand paper is from a small sanding belt and I used double sided carpet tape from ACE Hardware.

the holes in the bottom are to let the wood dust fall through.

these are spacers I use to set up the jig...

the stop is removable for different taper links...

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 06:42:11 pm »
Very nice jig Pat!  a lot like mine, but I don't use mine much any more,  been making cane and boo arrows lately  :)  great idea with the holes for the sawdust to drop out, need to do that to mine.
DBar

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 06:50:06 pm »
I don't use this one much. Just haven't made arrows lately. I still have some poplar shafts that Charlie Jefferson(Stringstretcher) sent me and that's what I made the taper jig for. Too many projects, not near enough time.  ;D

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 11:41:25 pm »
The DF I used was old growth, very old like 40 rings per inch.  A good thing about DF arrows is when they break it is usually very clean so it makes it easy to glue back up.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 09:38:55 am »
Thanks, Pat. That is a great design I will copy, for sure. I didn't get to fool with the dowell maker much this weekend due to other commitments, but late yesterday I spun one dowell that turned out great. I put it on the spine tester (still 3/8) and it spined at about 100 lbs. I sure hope that when I sand them down to normal arrow size (23/64, 11/32, 5/16) they will be closer to the 50-55 lbs or so that I am looking for. I am going to rig up a jig to reduce the shaft parallel first to get the spine closer before I try the taper. If they still turn out way too heavy, maybe looking for some with less tight grain would render a lower spine shaft. Well, if these are too stiff, maybe I can trade them for something.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 11:39:18 am »
You could probably use the taper jig to reduce the diameter of the shafts if you go slow. Just adjust it for parallel instead of tapered.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:44:12 pm »
Good idea, Pat. What grit paper have you found to work best?