Author Topic: Selfbow retraining  (Read 1570 times)

Offline tanner

Selfbow retraining
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:23:13 pm »
Hey guys - I tried searching both in the forum and via google, but I'm not getting a lot of love. I need some advice from you all on retraining an old bow. I've got a friend from work who has an osage selfbow she made 10ish years ago. She hasn't shot it in maybe 7 or 8 years. She wants to get it back into shooting it and I offered to help her. What do you all recommend in terms of retraining the bow? Is 7 or 8 years of not shooting long enough to worry about it? I've seen the bow once, but only in passing so I don't have the exact stats - can get those. It looked to be 1.5-2'' wide fades - pyramid style - static handle - osage flatbow. She said it was tillered to about 35#. The tips (as most of the rest of it) seem to be pretty overbuilt. She also said she's pretty sure that there is nothing on it for finish so I suspect I'll have to check the moisture content before doing anything to make sure it's between 5 and 14 pct right? Any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Selfbow retraining
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:43:00 pm »
10 years is not old bow osage,, brace the bow for a few hours,,, and exercise the bow slowly to full draw,, it should be ok,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:27:51 pm »
What Brad said.  You want the M/C to be between 9% and 11%.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tanner

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 05:11:33 pm »
Solid - thank you guys!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:24:09 pm »
Id love to see a pic !
I like osage