Author Topic: Tri-lam Yew/Yew/Hickory longbow question...  (Read 1363 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Tri-lam Yew/Yew/Hickory longbow question...
« on: September 05, 2014, 07:51:35 am »
Haven't made many bows in the past two years but getting back into it...
Working on a Tri-lam Yew/Yew/Hickory 71"ntn, 65#@30" is the goal. A woman's warbow for my friend Sabine. The belly lam is nice and straight perpendicular grain, but I ended up with two tiny pin knots right on the edges.
Any way to go to avoid compression fractures on them???
Pe-leeaze help!
Frank from Germany...

Offline bambule

Re: Tri-lam Yew/Yew/Hickory longbow question...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:07:16 am »
Yew didn`t have a tendency for chrysals. Maybe the pin knots gets a longitudinal crack but thats also not really a problem
I never had probs with pins on the edges with yew.
A coil with super glue maybe helps - but most the compression fractures under a coil are not seen but been there.

So I would give it a try and would see what happens

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tri-lam Yew/Yew/Hickory longbow question...
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 08:08:05 am »
For 65# at 30" I'd go at least 72" long if not 73-74"
Pin knots shouldn't be a problem. If in doubt, avoid the high arched D and go for a shape more like an inflated square (square with rounded corners) (belly corners rounded a bit more than those of the back). If the knots have black rings around them, pick at the black stuff, if it comes out loose, then excavate the knots and put little Yew plugs in or fill 'em with Yew/epoxy dust (mixed fairly dry). If they are clean and solid (no ring of black manky stuff) leave 'em alone, they will be fine.
I play better safe than sorry with knots. In the past I have had the odd pinch on the edge of a knot, but it has always been stable and never caused a failure... My Yew failures have always been from the back, not the belly.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.