Author Topic: First Snow  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

First Snow
« on: September 11, 2014, 12:38:37 pm »
Woke up to 4"s of snow this morning and still falling so I can say elk season has officially opened for me.  Got caught with the irrigation pump still in the creek and all the pipes and hoses still spread out all over the place!  I saw a bull elk from the deck yesterday.  He was  across the road in the hills coming off the divide.  I should have paid attention as the elk can help predict snow storms.  If the storm is a small one that won't last long, the elk just hole up in the timber, but if the storm is going to be substantial they move out to the lower country before the storm hits.  That bull was trying to tell me something and I did not listen! At least I got to take the jet boat for a forty mile ride and over nighter in the Big Horn Canyon.  That is a beautiful place unlike any other I have ever found.  Sheer canyon walls and a very deep and winding body of water.  Its a perfect place to really do the "pedal to the metal" in a jet.  Also made a cycle run up and down the Chief Joseph Highway to Dead Indian Creek.  Will try to make a run into Yellowstone to watch the elk bugle next week!  And then the hunting will begin.  Hope to score an elk for the Classic and am really hoping that I can make it as my hero "Jimmy" plans to be there!  AHO Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: First Snow
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 12:40:27 pm »
Boy! Wishing we had some of that now! Supposed to be near 100 for the next few days!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »
Sounds awesome. It would be nice to share some pics.
Nothing like your rig but you asked about it.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 02:38:30 pm »
Been in the forties in the morning in Salt Lake. Nice boat Zuma, Here is a photo of mine... I only have a float tube  :(.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 03:02:35 pm »
Zuma:  I like your boat cause it has easy access and is a perfect bow fishing rig.  Sorry to not be able to post pictures on the PA site, but I can send them one at a time on email.  My boat is very heavy and has a 170 horse Merc inboard so it really flys!  It is some work to launch, but very safe in rough water!  The snow has turned into a nasty little storm and still coming down!  Joe

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 04:56:46 am »
Ya I was watching on the news last night about the cold and snow out your way and thought about you.Winter is here for you I guess.Take care Joe ,see ya in the spring I hope. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 09:35:34 am »
40 as I drove into work this AM in Salt Lake.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 10:33:47 am »
I am not wishing you -all a bad winter out there in the west
but from what I remember snow was in short supply last year.
All kinds of problems caused by that. I like about 5 or 6" of snow if
I expect to be tracking big game. The open landscape out there
really looks nice with a fresh white blanket.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 10:37:37 am »
White gold. As a plow, and as it is my year to be on nights, I am SO ready for it. Bring on the 12 hour nights of plowing. It isn't fun to plow a skiff, it is much more rewarding to plow 4 or 5 inches off  >:D. It makes it hard during the holidays, but the money and Comp time is well worth it. Who doesn't like an extra 2 weeks off every year?

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 12:06:27 pm »
Thirteen degrees this morning but clear!  Watched a herd of elk feed up the mountain behind the house.  They were in the neighbor's field last night and are now bedded down on the hillside.  There were several bulls in the herd and one really big fellow.  Watched him with the binos bugling and chasing the smaller bulls around.  What a time waster watching them is!  Will have to make a run to the back country today if I can get the chores done!  Joe