Author Topic: Where do you buy your bamboo ?  (Read 12368 times)

Rich Saffold

Re: Where do you buy your bamboo ?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 10:31:35 pm »
Ryan, I understand that and this is just what I mean by getting a little to dry does to bamboo during shipping. The failure isn't immediate.A couple points; Franks doesn't cater to bowyers, and they say basically that in their catalog, nor does any bamboo vendor I have seen. Slats are far more susceptible to dryness than enclosed poles, and combine that with untypical dryness for our region can cause this problem..  Remember all the fires in our area recently? This is why..

I know its not bowyer error in these cases, but you must realize that it's a risk to ship these slats cross country without problems on occasion...Also the yellow,or moso doesn't have the density to handle the extremes like a lot of other bamboos I have used, and ordering poles may improve the chances of  getting bamboo which isn't overdried. Also order in small quantities so if it does go south it may not be so problematic.

Also finding other sources for bamboo closer to where you live, even private residences is a good idea even if they are hundreds of miles, or more south. I'm suprised there is only two vendors mentioned in this thread..I may have to start a side gig ;)..

The best bamboos I have used come from the neighborhood, but Franks has always provided me with some fine  bamboo when I ran out of the local stuff.

Rich

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:01:00 pm by Rich Saffold »

Far East Archer

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 10:41:31 pm »
I buy it from the local hardware stores in the lumber section next to the bicycles. ;D jk I believe the bamboo I'm getting is coming straight from mainland Japan and these are of great quality, 72" long, 1 3/4" wide and 1/4-1/2" thick. Never had a failure with it and doubt I ever will. I believe its madake but not 100% sure. Just recently I found some bamboo up in the mountains that I'm trying to dry..... If I could, I ship some to you lads, but it would be pretty expensive since I'm on the other side of the world :-\

Offline Pat O

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 11:46:40 pm »
Rich, the bamboo I am talking about didn't have any visible damage or discolor. It was my 4th batch of 25 I got from franks and I had 4 failure out of the the last batch I got. It was not a tiller problem. I'm very particular about the tiller on all my bows and always make sure that the complete limb is working. Most of the bows that I had problems with had been shot well over 1000 time and the tiller was still good even after the splinters pulled up if you stopped shooting it. I am not saying that frank sells junk bamboo I am just looking for some where els to try that others have had good luck with.

Offline Jbell

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 12:37:07 am »
I have had a couple of bamboo backings lifts splinters for no aparent reasons also. I got mine from master garden products in a bundle of ten. I was just looking at Dean Torges site and basically he claims that Maso is better than Moso. He gets his from a place called "Bamboo and Rattan works". May be worth a shot. I think i may try some out sometime. Btw, this place has a website, just didn't know if I could post a link to it or not. Good luck.
Justin Blunt

Offline Sabanim

• The Martial Arts Center
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 01:14:26 am »
Can't beat Pine Hollow's bamboo...best i've found~

Rich Saffold

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 02:26:09 am »
Pat O, I know its not the craftsmanship. You asked if anyone had had any problems with splinters lifting on heavy bows..and I had recently made a couple slender heavy bows using the yellow on the back..so I was just answering your question.. Check my previous posts.

Sabanim, Funny I didn't know Pine Hollow grew bamboo ;D, bet I can guess where he got it ;)

Rich

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 08:57:06 am »
Pat I know some people use an East Coast supplier.  I think it might be Bamboo and Rattan Works but I'm not sure.  I'll poke around a bit and see if I can find a link, if you dont' beat me to it.

I can see where less than optimal drying might negatively affect an entire batch of boo, or maybe it was harvested in an area with deficient soil.  I know, were there panda bear teeth marks?  That was probably it.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 11:33:15 am »
Well, I think its a crapshoot.  All you can do is what Rich said to try to improve our odds, then hope for the best.  Long shipping and time of year you get it shipped is probably something we should consider more than who it came from. I got some from 3Rivers (and they only cater to bowyers) and had it lift a splinter in between two nodes after several thousand shots.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 12:29:29 pm »
Bamboo and Rattan works is in  New Jersey..you could practically drive there and pick out what you want ;)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 07:33:30 pm »
Justin, where do you think three rivers gets there's from......I'd be willing to bet franks supply. Its way cheaper to buy it directly from the supplier.
Rich, new jersey isnt that close to us....lol.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 09:51:19 pm by Ryano »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 07:54:16 pm »
  Here's another one not far from my house. The last time I was there they sold 2" wide slats for $7. This place is 3 large warehouses and the stuff comes from China ,I think.
                                    Bamboo Supply  3912 Holden Rd.  Lakeland, Fl.   863 648-4445
                                    Eastern Star Trading Co.   (same address)    863 646-6965
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?