Author Topic: Hows my tiller lookin?  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Puckaway

Hows my tiller lookin?
« on: September 05, 2014, 12:20:19 pm »
This is my knotty hickory build I've been working on. Its a real challenge working these limbs. Any advice is welcome. So far I've only pulled it to about 45#@ 20"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hows my tiller lookin?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »
Hard to say for sure, but Id say your fades are working too hard and your mid limbs are flat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:23:38 pm »
Hard to say for sure, but Id say your fades are working too hard and your mid limbs are flat.
Me too
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 12:24:50 pm »
Me too
+3
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 12:27:50 pm »
Noted. I'll get the mid limbs bending more.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:30:09 pm »
Use a straight edge and trust it. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:38:46 pm »
I started off using a gizmo, but someone told me it would be useless on this bow on account of the knots.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 12:47:20 pm »
I have no use for a gizmo myself. I suppose I could be accused of not knowing how to use it properly.

A straight edge allows you to view a span of say 6-8" (depending on how long it is) as a cumulative area rather than putting pencil marks on all of it.

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 12:59:13 pm »
On a bow like that I'll use a credit card or drivers license whichever I grab from my wallet first. If I can't pay someone to tiller it I'll drive to somebody that can :o

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 01:08:53 pm »
That's reassuring Jon.........:)

Offline JonW

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 01:49:24 pm »
Seriously though I like a small straight edge when dealing with a lot of character in a bow. Don't worry Chris I usually only end up with one maybe two hinges per limb ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 02:54:18 pm »
You'd be a fool not to take that advice Jon. A mostly blind man can clearly see you know how to make wood bend precisely.

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 01:11:31 pm »
So.. Should I use like a 6" piece of wood to check for gaps and flat spots and focus on the flat spots until they match the gaps?

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 01:33:14 pm »
One thing I do is take a pic and use a CD or something similar.  Hold it up to the pic of the bow to see the bend.  Works like a charm.  The other method is good too I'm just not as familiar.   

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 02:15:17 pm »
You might want to put up a pic of the unbraced profile so that everyone knows what your starting with.  Without the unbraced photo, most assume you started with straight even limbs and give advice based on that assumption.  Unless you straightened all the character out of this stave, the straight edge/gap/gizmo techniques are pretty much useless with one exception.  That exception is to take a long straight edge and draw a line down the side of the limb and use the line as a reference to where its bending and where its not.  Josh