Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

horn cutting

<< < (2/3) > >>

thegreatwhale:
Its good to know that he wouldn't do it again, although I'm very curious as to what problems resulted from it. Bubby, if you happen to find out what those problems were or if Timo himself comes on to explain what it was I would be very interested with the results and appreciative!

Pat B:
Horn is usually joined at the handle of these horn bows. It uses a butt joint since it is in compression and sometimes a bone spacer is placed between the two sections of horn. I guess you could join two pieces of horn at mid limb and that too should be a butt joint and I think I'd wrap on either side of this joint.

loefflerchuck:
It was George Bird Grinell who mentioned the Cheyenne made sheep horn bows in two ways and this was one of them. This was word of mouth from oldtimers and could have been missinterprited. Would love to see somebody try this. I have my doubts without a wood core and cutting through horn like this

Hawken35:
New to posting on the board, but have worked bison horn for my other hobby - muzzleloaders. Bison horn is a bit more "grainy" or coarse than cow or water buffalo horn and on some of my powder horns over time what was glass smooth shows grain once more. That may be a problem with the spiral cut and cutting across the "grain". Over time the horn separates and loses the strength it once had.

In no way am I an expert on horn but that would be my reason for not using bison for a horn bow.

Phil

bubby:
it wasn't the fact that it was bison horn, it was the spiral cut, I can't remember the whole pm off the top of my head and it was deleted long ago, i'm personally going to use some bison horn cut in strips and but joined with a wood core

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version