Author Topic: Bow stringing question  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Bow stringing question
« on: September 01, 2014, 06:14:07 pm »
I hope this doesn't sound dumb. I have a Longriver Elk longbow made by Gus Delageffa. It's 55lbs. @ 28", 64". It's a sweet shooting bow---once I can get it strung! I'm serious, I've never seen a bow as hard to string as this one, lol! I use a stringer that has a pocket for the bottom limb and the rubber pad that presses down on the top limb. I can't pull it high enough while bending down at the same time to slip the string over the nock. It says the bow is 64" on it, but it's actually closer to 66". Now, I have a stringer that has small leather pockets that slip over each nock tip and then you string the bow. I have considered using that but have a serious concern about it. This Longriver longbow has some of the smallest, thinnest nocks I've seen on a longbow. I've never tried stringing it with the stringer that has pockets that slip over both nocks. My concern is breaking off the nocks. Now, is this a serious concern or should I try using that other stringer? I'm at a loss because I've tried everything with the rubber pad stringer and it takes a long time to string the Longriver, when I can actually get it strung. And it ain't doing my back any favors, either.

Any solutions?
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Will Tell

Re: Bow stringing question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:38:09 pm »
I use one with the leather pockets and so far so good. The ends on my self bow come to a point so I worry about the same thing. Don't want to tell you it's okay in case it would break.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:17:29 pm »
55#...id step through it..and push the top limb dont pull or twist it...but thats just me.   O:)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:34:20 am »
Step on the stringer with both feet,and spread the feet a bit,that will make the pull up much shorter. :) Is it a glass bow,if so leave it strung,it won't hurt it. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:35:54 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:54:15 pm »
Step through should be easy with 55#. And as pappy says, leave it strung if its glass.