Author Topic: who's working on composite horn bows?  (Read 36182 times)

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
who's working on composite horn bows?
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:15:39 pm »
ok PA members, we now have a new horn bow discussion area,
please, only post and talk about true composite horn bows, that way we can stay on the true topics.
take a few minutes to post what you are in the process of, and finished bows. any and all stages of manufacture are open to debate and discussion, im also looking for pics of the bow attempts that were failures..
I will be posting some of my successes and failure also.
so- lets see what is out there :)..........James

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: who's working on composite horn bows?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:36:39 pm »
As soon as I get the set of horns I have ground down and straightened, I'll be starting a plains style bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:36:18 pm »
Its my planned project for this winter, have to build more experience with the wooden ones first. I can find the materials just short on experience.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:18 am »
Come on, people! quit slackin'. The Horn Bow forum has been up for a day now. Where are everyone's new horn bow pictures?  ;D ;D

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:07:22 am »
im interested to see the broke ones/id like to compare  breaks, delams,
differences in short and long term cure times,    anyone with info

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 01:08:43 am »
I've got this one hanging in the rafters curing, and waiting for me to get the time to finish it up

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 04:28:35 am »
Bubby - give it way more reflex! Don't doubt the materials...they can easily take more. You probably want the tips about 10 inches apart.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 04:34:52 am »
I've got two Turkish flight bows 'in the works' one is going to be heavy (100# +) and the other hopefully around 70# given the thicknesses. I have high hopes for these....
I also have two of my own design which are meant to be better suited to a lighter draw weight than the Turkish bows. The first of these bows I made is around 55#@26 (could be drawn to 28) and at this draw-length it shoots my best flight arrows consistently over 350yds. The two new ones both have much lighter tips and slightly tweaked limb cross sections which I hope will give more efficiency....and longer shots  ;D
They should all be ready for next years flight shoot at the salt flats.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 09:58:05 am »
I've got one in the works, but I've been sidelined all summer with issues at the house.
Interesting build as I've never done one before.
No pics yet.
While I was adding reflex one limb developed a crack in the horn near the fade...I ground it down and plan on glueing in a patch of new horn.
The mistake I made was putting the butt end of the horns at the grip, and the dips and rough texture there caused the crack.  ::) but I didn't think I had enough width at the narrow end to cover the core. Lesson learned.
So it is resting with 3 layers of sinew (which really went well) and that's another first for me...Never used sinew or hide glue before-ever. When I get back into my house, I'll have to repair and tiller it out. It may end up just a wallhanger as it is commissioned by a collector, not an archer. Stay tuned.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 10:28:03 am »
I am rabidly researching to (eventually) make myself a korean bow

Planning on maple core, cherry siyas, cow horn belly, and birch bark backing.

Reflexed like this:
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 11:48:22 am »
Hmm, maybe this will make me get off my butt with my project.  I should start a thread...
1’—>1’

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 06:10:35 pm »
bubby,mike is correct, you could have so much more of a bow if you induce more reflex into the limbs.heating the limbs and pulling the tip inward ,then letting season in that position will add greatly to thespeed

parnell are you sitting on your hands, would love to see what you have got going

pekane, I have made several of the Korean style,, those have gave me the most gratification to build, I had 4 fail, before the first success,, I tried alternative materials for the core,, just wont work,, at least for me,, the tried and true  bamboo core is best suited for the Korean bow,, cant fix something that aint broke,,belive me I have tried. but that's what we are here for ,,to learn... im no expert, but i do have substantial experience,at lots of failures when it comes to the horn bows,,it has come at a great cost$$.

so I think you should do what makes you happy ,because that what we are all doing

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 06:14:06 pm »
all most forgot! hey mike how bout hurrying up and post those bows,, im eager to se them

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 06:44:48 pm »
Alright, quit twisting my arm already, I'll do like James said and get some more reflex in this baby
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 09:51:58 am »
I have been sitting on my hands, James.  Got a new workshop going in this upcoming week.  That would be a very cool project to pick back up in there. 
1’—>1’