Author Topic: Nothing like it!  (Read 4382 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Nothing like it!
« on: January 06, 2008, 09:29:17 pm »
After too many failed attempts, I finally got a piece of wood to look like a bow, bend like a bow and SHOOT LIKE A BOW!  What a thrill it is to send an arrow flying through the first bow you made!

A slightly twisted lower limb, a bit more hand shock than I'd like, but dang.... I'm shooting arrows through my first bow!  I couldn't get the grin off my face, what a kick.  I'm used to shooting my Bear recurve and so have never shot a long bow before - I really don't know what to expect for the feel.  Especially that first whack on my wrist - Ouch.  Never got whacked before, that smarts I tell ya..

Is the wrist whack typical of a longbow, or could I have tillered differently to prevent it?  The string runs just slighly off center at the handle, hedging barely toward the arrow side.  Maybe could be due to the lower limb twist I suppose?  Learned quickly to wrap some spare leather around my arm.

But man oh man, what a great day.  I've hinged so many vine maple limbs over the past 4 months it feels great to finally test shoot a bow!  She's not exactly pretty and most probably not perfectly done - but the experience has been worth the trials and tribulations.  I often think how I paid $300+ for my recurve years ago and for this 50# vine maple all I paid was gas and an afternoon in the woods.  I'm hooked.

I still have to stain and finish yet, but hope to posts some pics.

MANY thanks to Gordon for his advice to my oftentimes silly questions, as well as his pleasant encouragement; and thanks too to those of you who gave advice that got me back on track.  This has been a fun experience.

Can't wait to start another one; hopefully bettering the skills (I really hope getting this one tillered and shoooting wasn't just plain dumb luck).  :)

-Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Nothing like it!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 09:38:11 pm »
Congratulations on your shooter, it is a great feeling. And yep, we want pics. As for the string slap, what is your brace height set at? Also, if you're switching from a FG recuve with a big, contoured handle, you may need to adjust your grip on the bow a bit-try gripping so that your wrist isn't turned in toward the string.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 09:43:15 pm »
Your hooked for life now! Good luck and have fun with your wonderful new addiction.....I mean hobby.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 10:00:18 pm »
      Bigwapiti,
I know exactly what you mean. I have my first working bow all but finished right now,need to find leather for the grip.But MAN OH MAN what a thrill to fling arrows out of a bow you built yourself. Personally I've  never been any good at working with wood so this was a really big thrill for me. Once again congrats. on your first bow and lets see some pics of the finished product.

Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 10:23:19 pm »
Mike: You sound a little excited ;D. Your right, I stood out in the yard for hours flinging arrows as high as I could with my first bendy stick. Your right - nothing like it!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 01:08:01 am »
 ;D ;D ;D That is great.  Did anyone mention we like pictures.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Glenn R.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 01:13:50 am »
yeah, I still look at my bows, then look at a rough old split and think--wow!  Perfect laminations--one growth ring after another--another one of Gods wonders--congratulations on your first bow!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 07:58:29 am »
Quite the thrill isn't it, my first bow was 10# full of hinges and whatnot but it shot an arrow
I sat out in the yard shootin aluminum arrows out of with a big dumb smile on my face ;D
Congrats, I don't think anyone told ya pictures are a must ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 08:06:35 am »
Thanks for the trip down memory lane...and congrats on your first bow! Have ya got that second one started yet? ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 09:35:22 am »
I know the feeling,it's been longer than I care to remember but I still remember it well Kind of like your first deer jst can't forget.Congrats on your first and I am sure there will be plenty more to come. :)
    Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 03:39:07 pm »
Congratulations!  Yeah, you're hooked!!!  I have only completed one but am on my second now.  4 more for my two sons, son in law and brother are in the hopper!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 03:40:35 pm »
Thanks all - What a great encouraging group this is!!  Nice change from the software development groups I have to "hang out in" during the work hours.  Believe me, this is such a welcomed change!!!  Thanks for that.

I do plan on posting pictures - don't get your hopes up though - I did say it wasn't ... perfect, right? :D  But for the character this piece of vm had (twists, whoop-d-doos, misaligned tips and knots), I'm pretty happy with the dang thing. :D :D

My hope was that I could get some stain and finish on it first - but I've not received my Feibing's order yet.  I guess I could always post pictures now and then again after its 'perdied up a little.  My wife hasn't completely finished rolling her eyes at my giddiness, yet, so maybe I have a chance of convincing her to take a few pictures.

And yep, I already have my second stave picked out and ready to mark up.  I do have to get out to find some better VM staves now that I know what better to look for. The one's I have in my shop now might have to wait until I get a little more experience under the belt - a little challenging to say the least.

I always thought PA meant Primitive Archer, but realize its true meaning might be "Primitive Ananomous".
   Mike: "Hi, I'm Mike, and I like making wood bows"
   Everybody: "Hiiiiii Miiiike"

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me