Author Topic: Snake Skin Question  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Dean Marlow

Snake Skin Question
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:58:15 pm »
Was wondering what you do with your snake skins on the back of a bow to get rid of the sharp edges. They are a little rough when you unstringing the bow. Dean

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Snake Skin Question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 01:20:25 pm »
Dean use a sanding block or smooth bastard file to smooth the edges out. If that doesn't do the trick you might add a bit of glue to the edges, let it set and sand them smooth.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 01:54:13 pm »
I round the edges of the limbs before I put the snake skins on.  Then I do what Pat said with the sanding block or the fine file.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 02:00:12 pm »
hey Dean...long time!  I do not round the edges before I put on the skins because I file the edges to remove the excess skin.  Do what Pat said...add some finish, sand, finish, sand, until it's done...there shouldn't be any roughness left to catch the string.
Bob
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:00:56 pm »
another coat of finish will help too

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 02:26:44 pm »
I mostly do what Pat said.n one thig I would recommend is to only sand in one direction going towards the belly.  That way you won't lift the skins as you are sanding.  You can get a very clean edge that way.  If you increase the angle of the sanding block, you can almost bevle the edge of the skins a little too.  Hope that helps :)

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 06:29:57 pm »
Just got done with a sanding block and she is smooth and ready to go. Mr. Barnes glad to see you are still making bows. Thanks again everybody. Dean