Author Topic: tree id  (Read 1939 times)

Offline bushboy

tree id
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:17:08 pm »
K,my phone is buggered so I can't post a pic,sorry for that.there is a species of tree that I don't think is native to south central canada but I see them growing mostly in people yards and such.it is nonlobed(looks a lot like an elm) serrated leaves,assymetrical, large and heart shaped.it has clumps of berries that look like little lemons and have pits(i think the berries are not ripe yet?)the bark is smooth on the smaller ones but coarse and rough on the larger ones.any ideas,so I can Google it,thx's rob!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: tree id
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:18:54 pm »
You know we really need pics.............

::)
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 06:36:08 pm »
Crab apple, Malus sp.?        If it is, it should be good bow wood if you can find a tree that doesn't grow twisted. The heart shaped kinda say not a crab apple.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 07:15:57 pm »
The tree grows large,bout 40' and 12" trunks.the leaves are almost the size of the palm of my hand.i think not many large hardwood trees have berries with. Pits,it not a crab apple the berries are only pea size.am getting a new phone next week and will get some pics up.thx's Rob!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 07:52:08 pm »
Hackberry, Celtis occidentalis?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 08:18:47 pm »
Hackberry has corky protrusions all along the trunk so it should be pretty easy to identify.
 Being that these trees are common landscape cultivars it should be easy to find out. Ask your neighbor, I'd bet one of them would know.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC