Author Topic: I don't usually read anything in GQ...  (Read 2110 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

I don't usually read anything in GQ...
« on: August 24, 2014, 05:05:04 pm »
Sounds like a good opening for one of those "Most Interesting Man in the World" commercials, don't it?

Well, this guy is maybe not THE most interesting man in the world, but I must admit I am fascinated by what he did and the mystery of why he did it.  He disappeared into the woods in Maine long ago and only recently resurfaced when he was arrested.  I hesitate to call it a crime spree, because it seems to lack the mean streak or greediness that is the hallmark of a thief. He became a hermit, simply for the comforts of a life in the outdoors.  It sounds like he found that elusive thing we call "peace of mind" out there. 

Admit it, all of us harbor this same fantasy of wandering into the wilderness and not coming back out.  But this guy did.  Granted, he did not live off the land, but rather off the stores and wares of people that remained behind in society and made the daily grind. 

Folks are going to say how badly they hate a thief, and I cannot disagree.  There will be those that rush to judge, but I can see this man's side of the story too.  I know several people with various degrees of Asberger's syndrome, something he appears to suffer from.  For some, interactions with people is all but impossible.

Rather than post the link to a commercial site, I ask you to google The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: I don't usually read anything in GQ...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:08:13 pm »
I wish him luck with the rest of his life. I cant imagine how hard it is for him to adjust to life away from the woods.
Steve Bennett

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 07:47:53 pm »
Wow, thanks for posting about this. Awesome read.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Marks

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:39:24 pm »
I don't usually read anything in GQ...

He just gets it for the pictures.......
If I were to get a magazine just for the pictures it wouldn't be GQ.

I'm not the type to wonder off and live in the woods. I like quilted toilet paper too much. I love camping/hunting/outdoors but I also love coming home. this time of year I love A/C. unfortunately I can't read the article here at work.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:33:56 pm »
He liked toilet paper too. He stole it, along with everything else he needed or wanted. Still a great read if you get the chance. 5 pages.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 10:13:49 pm »
No, i guarantee there wasn't any peace for him in the woods. 
Relying on stealing from other people, he chained himself just within the edge of civilization.  He was a sad, scared little man when he ran in and a sad, scared little man when he was caught stealing from a children's camp and was pulled out.  All alone only meant alone with his demons.  He was, and still is sick with a twisted spirit.
I have far more respect for a former client that lived in the woods and fished, poached and farmed his food.  And for others that have chosen to go hungry for the night rather than steal from another family.
I get frosted when parasitism is glorified.
That said,  true wilderness is a fantastic healer.  The wilds can work out the knots in your soul.

This guy just couldn't break the chains to find his freedom.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 11:36:10 pm »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 05:29:35 pm »
Very good read, thanks for posting it, JW.
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 06:37:46 pm »
Pekane, I agree. A thief is still a thief no matter how you look at it. I would have more respect for him if he was panhandling.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?