Author Topic: Last two board bows for a while  (Read 3330 times)

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
Last two board bows for a while
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:53:59 am »
I guess I'll do pictures first, then info. Because why not? And who doesn't like pictures.

It might not be obvious, but when cutting out the width profile on this, the grain wandered on the top limb quite a bit. I had to settle for thinning only one side and then bumping it to the middle a bit. It's not perfect, and it's not terribly obvious either, thankfully.

The wood is stained with ash from my fire pit mixed with rubbing alcohol. I got a pretty decent stain out of it, which makes for a nice, weathered-looking gray color. Ran out of (matching, also weathered) twine for the handle so that bottom inch or so needs to be finished up.

Bow is 62" long, 35# @ 28". A bit of a departure for me. Most of what I've built have been stiff-handled flatbows. This is the second attempt at a bendy-handle bow. Turned out better than the first!

Took relatively little set. (The unstrung photo shows just after unstringing, and the bow started completely flat.) Shoots pretty sweet -- faster than the last 35 pounder I built for sure. No stack, easy to use.

As far as the tiller shape is concerned: Bottom limb looks good to me. Top limb could bend a little more in the mid-limb. Overall the whole thing bends a little too much in the middle section of the bow. But set is still low. With a perfect tiller the set would have been lower, and I might have been able to squeeze another couple pounds out. But getting something much shorter than I'm used to out to my full draw is a bit of an accomplishment in itself.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
Re: Last two board bows for a while
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:17:06 pm »

Not an A+ board. The growth rings could run a little straighter, but I knew it would work.

Starts wide, 2.5", stays the same width for about 5 inches off the handle, and then a (basically) constant taper to the tips. They're slightly "Eiffel-towered."

Not much set. A funky attempt at heat shaping that didn't work out quite right resulted in a bit of kept reflex right off of the handle -- but not kept anywhere else. This is slightly apparent to me, but maybe not anyone else.

Had to redo the nocks. First attempt at overlays. Had a bit of trouble at first but figured them out. Nothing fancy really, just cut from some scrap maple and stained to match.

67", 45# @ 28"

Because of removing too much wood at rough-out, I got stuck trying to migrate the bend more toward the handle at 26" (tillered out to 29"). I kept going slow to preserve as much weight and keep the set low, otherwise I probably could have slogged off a bunch of wood near the handle and got the perfect shape, at the expense of a lower weight and perhaps more set.

So that is part of the story on why it looks so stiff out of the handle. Another part of the story is what I mentioned before, which was a half-done heat-bend/heat-treat. It kept a touch of reflex on the inner limb but not the rest of the limb.

Anyways, set is low and it shoots great. Of all of the bows I've made this one shows more change from just-unstrung to rested. Rests near flat, but just unstrung shows maybe an inch and a half of string follow.

Looking for good homes for both of these bows.

My next order of business is setting about building the bow I'm going to use for deer hunting this year. I decided a year ago that I wanted to hunt with a self-made selfbow this year, but here I am 5 weeks before season without the bow I want to use. I have two candidates (the brown one posted is one I suppose), three if you count the glass bow I might use. But I have a pretty sizable pile of staves. Maybe some can relate, but it's not simply about the draw weight or speed of the bow. Something just has to "feel" right about it.

I want one that is over 50#, but anything in the high 40s will suit me fine. Working on one that's going to cut it close. If it comes out low I'll just grab another stave. I read something that I thought was particularly apt a little while ago. "This hobby is easy if you never fall in love with a piece of wood." I've been guilty of that, and -- big surprise -- it makes making bows harder.

Anyways, no more board bows for a while -- and why bother? I have a bunch of wood that was free (in dollars) that's ready to go. If I break some or they don't turn out right? So what.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:28:16 pm by ezc »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:35:08 pm »
Barefoot Tony the board bow builder..:)

Im quite sure your slick enough to get a stave bow done in 5 weeks that will fit the hunting bill man.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:26:57 pm »

Im quite sure your slick enough to get a stave bow done in 5 weeks that will fit the hunting bill man.

Barefoot Tony the Bearded Board Bow Builder.

Nice work on both.  Boards are simply radically decrowned staves.  Good work, keep it up.  Oh, and thanks for posting the pics first. Some of can't read and just like to look at the pretty, pretty pitchers!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:30:27 pm »
Touche'
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 01:42:28 pm »

+1    Get after it  B.T.B.B.B!  8)

PM your address too, I didn't get it at Elm hall - you're gonna need some turkey feathers for hunting arrows!
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:09:14 pm »
Depending on how long the weather stays nice you all might have to deal with dirty toes a while longer.

I just tried to track down photographic evidence that I do cover my feet sometimes. I first found this -- but then I realized 3 feet of white stuff and sub-zero temps might not prove anything. The feet aren't visible. But sure enough, I do sometimes wear shoes/boots. And make stave bows. But only sometimes.

:P

+1    Get after it  B.T.B.B.B!  8)

PM your address too, I didn't get it at Elm hall - you're gonna need some turkey feathers for hunting arrows!

Oh yeah! It totally slipped my mind. I'll shoot you a PM.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 02:10:21 pm »
Nice looking bows
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline RyanR

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 04:58:27 pm »
Both bows look good. Get after the staves.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 10:31:12 pm »
Both look good, look forward to seeing the stave hunting bow when your done.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 10:53:47 pm »
Both look good, look forward to seeing the stave hunting bow when your done.

Yep.......
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 11:08:55 pm »
We'll see how this goes....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:29:48 am »
Look good to me,nice work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good