Author Topic: Tiller critique/advice  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Accipiter

Tiller critique/advice
« on: August 27, 2014, 02:14:40 pm »
This one is for a friend who's only specs were 50 lbs (more or less) @ 28". Currently, its at about 40# @ 27". Wood is ocean spray, length is 65" ntn. I'm curious as to your thoughts on tiller (it seems like too much mid-limb bend, and the right limb looks mildly hingey), and if there is any way to fix that while getting the weight up by at least 5#. The limbs have been heat treated once, without much reflex though and the near handle sections have had some of the treated wood scraped off, so maybe thats a possibility. Probably some room to pike too, but I dont know how that will affect the tiller. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bridger

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Tiller critique/advice
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:18:25 pm »
it would help to see unbraced,,

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:14:46 pm »
As requested:
And front view (sorry its a bit crooked):

The tips are flipped, and the stave started off with around 1 or 1.5" of deflex (to where the tips start curving). I've probably added another .5" while tillering, but not too much.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:38:37 pm »
Mid limb needs to move a bunch on both limbs, unless its an RD of sorts
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 03:56:10 pm »
Pearl, it is sort of a deflex/reflex design, though not very pronounced. Do you mean I need to get midlimb bending more?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:04:17 pm »
i think if you pike and even up the tiller you can get your weight,, looks pretty good,,, it is not hinged,,,the unbraced profile tells you that,,,you may have to make it bend a bit more into outer limb as well,, and could possibly loose some of the reflex,, but I think your bow is in there

Offline randman

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:15:21 pm »
Yer there man! looks good. pull her another inch...... Pike an inch off each end and you'll make 50. Love the OS....How'd you get the bark to stay on? I have the most trouble with keeping the bark on the bendy parts. Your neighborhood looks like mine in Seattle....
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 06:08:13 pm »
I'd say mid-outer limb, where the reflex starts.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 06:30:18 pm »
Thanks for the advice and encouragement, I'll take it to the shop soon and hopefully get it worked out. Randman, I'm in Corvallis actually, but I do like my neighborhood, and OS! I sanded down the bark pretty far down with 100 grit, and I'll probably take it down to at least 320 grit before finishing. it seemed to work on my plum bow, hopefully no cracking on this one either. On the plus side, the bark popping off lets you know when you have a hinge!