Author Topic: Need help saving a bird...  (Read 2811 times)

Offline seminolewind

Need help saving a bird...
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:44:24 am »
About a week ago I found an abandoned baby blue jay in a parking lot here in Tampa after waiting a couple hours I could see there was no mother bird around and it was only getting hotter where the baby was on the cement. I took him home and have been feeding him for a while now. He is very energetic and eats well, and has been growing pretty fast. I have been feeding him meal worms, crickets and organic dog food soaked in warm spring water. All was good till this morning when I noticed that he has a swollen right eye its puffy and almost closed. His other eye is perfectly fine but he is a little lethargic. I just want to know if there is anything further I can do to help the little guy. I know there are some bird enthusiasts on here so figured I would ask..Thanks guys !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Re: Need help saving a bird...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:59:33 am »
It could be a type of eye condition unique to birds. You'll need a medicine for it. PM or email me.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:03:07 am »
Not sure about the eye,but way cool you trying to save him. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:07:04 am »
Man, that blows after just telling me about the little critter yesterday.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:24:31 am »
They are also super smart birds. Corvids, like crows and Ravens. The wild ones around my place like to mess with my cats. I hope the little bugger pulls through, you may have a buddy for its life.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 01:10:03 pm »
im sure jw will chime in here as soon as he sees it. keep us posted

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 01:16:48 pm »
I would suggest searching out a wildlife rehabilitator in your area. The foods you listed are a pretty good start, better than what most people feed birds (milk, baby food, leftover KFC, things that would boggle your mind, I mean MILK??? What bird lactates?)

When the little buggers are growing so fast, they also need calcium supplementation or else they get metabolic bone disease, a virtual death sentence. Definitely, find a local wildlife rehab facility and talk to them!

As for a bluejay, there was one that lived in the GF&P offices in Sioux Falls named Flopper.  He was a rescue and became their mascot.  Every time a game warden walked by wearing a badge and gun he would holler out a rather disrespectful foul word referring to the terminal end of our digestive system.  The game wardens all thought it was cute, but thankfully his mimic of this word was not particularly done with the best diction so often the public did not understand what was being said!  By the way, Flopper passed away a year ago at the age of 16.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »
Hey ya'll thanks for all the help I received a couple helpful Pm's and decided I had done all I could do in my power so I looked up a vet that also has a wildlife rehab center they transfer too. The bird was eating but still all day the swelling in his left eye continued so I figured it could be the end if I didn't get help. I have since dropped him off and am no longer caring for the bird.

Kinda bitter sweet I would have loved to had a blue Jay companion hanging around or if he decided to take to the wild and leave that would have ok too. Since its illegal to keep wild birds its probably for the better.

Bottom line is I am all for doing everything I can for any helpless wild creature.
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 11:53:46 pm »
Chew and spit the food like momma ;)

seriously though Great try hope it pulls through @ the new place ...good anya  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 12:12:31 am »
Just read a post from a rehab facility in British Columbia.  They released an adult bald eagle they had taken in.  It was found on a beach unable to fly, starved down to near death.  When they did an xray, they found it had swallowed a steel shishkebab skewer!  The skewer had pierced the digestive tract and there was a systematic infection raging throughout the bird.  Somehow they fixed this bird up, put weight back on him, got him flying and released him right back where he had been found!

Just relaying this story to let you know that these animals NEVER give up.  With a little help, they can survive stuff that would leave us in the morgue!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 12:59:13 am »

I had a baby mocking bird for a while, and let him go.  He was very smart, and learned quickly.  My cat got his nest mate, and it was too far gone to save, but Jake made it.  I did feed him milk, but was on bread, so he would have the calcium, then I started feeding him a small amount of hamburger once in awhile, and meal worms, and some other kind of white fatty worm, from the pet store, and I would catch the Japanese beetles at night, and let him at them.  He was pretty aggressive, and would very neatly behead them, and shuck the wing shells, and legs, and then chow down.  When he was sitting on my arm one night as I was watching television, he suddenly flew up to the ceiling, and hovered, and snatched a bug, off the ceiling. That is when I knew he was ready to go out.  I would put pieces of paper on the floor, and under some I would put a meal worm, or bug of some sort, and he would start hunting, by flipping the pieces of paper over, and finding a bug, or worm, he would devour it.  He was a cute little booger, and would fly in through the kitchen pass through, into the living room, and then back out to the porch.  He would act like a little baby bird, when he wanted food, he would squat down and fluff up, and squawk, and wiggle his tail feathers, and hold his mouth open.  Well it worked, cause I fed him.  I sure do miss that little guy.  he would fly down from his perch on the hanging light on the Fla. room, and fly in through the sliding doors, and land on my arm, as I was on the computer, and snuggle up and go to sleep, on my arm.  He never seemed to tire of leaving a little warm mass of gratitude on my arm, and I would always have a paper towel, or tissue handy, to wipe it off.  Good for you Seminole, glad you helped it out.  I am the same way with wild or domestic animals.  I had a deer, that came up, with a grape fruit sized hole down to the bone, on her back at the shoulder blades, and her hind quarters raked, and the skin hanging down.  She would hardly eat the corn, or cob (corn, oats, and barely)  So I started buying carrots, and cabbage, and some deer chow for her, and stood guard with my sling shot, while she ate to keep the others from running her off.  When I left to go back to Fla. she was completely healed over, and running the other deer off to get their food.  I haven't seen back yet.  Don't know if she is still alive or not, there was a HUGE mountain lion crossed in front of me as i was getting ready to turn into my drive way,a little while back.  It was in no hurry, just kind of loped across the road, and into my property.  A Friend of mine told me of a bone cache, not too far from my place, that is in some thick stuff.  So it might be where this big ol boy takes his kills.  There are a lot of lions around this area.  Again good for you.

Wayne