Author Topic: Long Shot Trade, Wild Turkey feathers For Maple Stock Blank.  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Long Shot Trade, Wild Turkey feathers For Maple Stock Blank.
« on: August 21, 2014, 10:25:19 am »
I am over loaded with wild turkey feathers, nice full length L/W feathers with the bases ground by Raven Arrows. I know there are a bunch of flintlock guys on this site, so who knows, one might be interested in a trade.

My offer, 200 hand picked, perfect L/W feathers for a seasoned maple stock blank around 3" wide (for a D weight barrel 38" long) with the grain running properly through the wrist. Anything from plain maple to some curl will be fine.

Offline warpath

Re: Long Shot Trade, Wild Turkey feathers For Maple Stock Blank.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:22:51 pm »
I have a 3' and a 6' slab of tiger maple. Been drying for about 8 years. First piece is 36" X 17" X 3"  Second piece is 72" X 17" X 3"

G

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:04:38 pm »
The big piece would work but it will be way to expensive to ship. If you lived close I would drive over and make the trade.

Here is a couple of normal sized stock blanks. They are cherry of questionable quality.

Offline warpath

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:03:45 pm »
I can cut it down to size if you send me the dimensions you need. :)

G

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:28:09 pm »
Here is what I mean by the proper grain orientation through the wrist, as you can see the grain flows straight down the wrist of this stock layout. Is this layout possible with your wood? Usually the pattern is tilted on a board to give this grain orientation.

Here is a stock blank with lousy grain orientation through the wrist, lots of grain runouts because of the straight grain through the wrist. Drop a finished gun butt first on the ground and there will be a good chance it will break in the wrist.

On my latest build you can see why lousy grain orientation shown above on this skinny wrist wouldn't hold up well.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:35:19 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline warpath

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 11:46:01 pm »
Got it. I'll check the grain tomorrow afternoon and see if it will work for you. I'll take pics and send them to you since I don't know much about making gunstocks.

G

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 03:07:42 pm »
Would love to see the pictures.