Author Topic: By any description he is not my son...  (Read 3747 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

By any description he is not my son...
« on: August 16, 2014, 07:21:40 pm »
...but when he called me today in between Basic and AIT, I knew he wasn't the boy I waved goodbye to just a few short weeks ago.  I knew this was no longer the little kid that looked up to me with sparkling eyes when I let him shoot one of my handmade bows.  This was not the kid that was a little too excited when I said "OK" the first time he announced, "I'll drive, I have a license."

No, by no technicality is he my son.  But the love and pride I have for him shows in the tears on my face. I know a father's fear of losing him, a father's pride in his accomplishments, a father's joy in seeing him becoming a man and a soldier.

Atta boy, Bugsy!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: By any description he is not my son...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:34:16 pm »
Still very much your son, even if he's grown out of being your little boy.
Congrats on raising a man
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:31:18 pm »
I sent my granddaughter off to college Friday, we have no DNA in common linking us but she is the light of my life and I am proud to be called her Paw Paw. Once asked by one of her friends in Nashville in my presence "Is he your grandfather?", "no" she replied "he is my Paw Paw".

Here in the south the term "Paw Paw", as strange as it sounds to outsiders, is the ultimate expression of love and respect.   

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:41:04 am »
JW
All the money, all the land, training, talent and education
cannot and will not break the bonds created through noble LOVE.
To have those close to you, Blood or not, love you in return
is a unique blessing. You are blessed as I am blessed.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 10:16:11 am »
Mr. Halverson,  I respectfully have to disagree, sir. The moral turpitude and core values of America's finest (military personnel) are learned sir 8) Your son had those before bootcamp and AIT, and you sir are part of that teaching partnership. Allways been there, just learned how to express the intangible is all. The son can be the reflection of the father, America is a fortunate country to continually raise these fine examples of manhood. God Bless you both.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 04:15:23 pm »
No, this young man is not my son.  I just got to borrow him. His mother raised him and I got to spend time with him.  She did the work, and I got to watch him grow.

Like I said, nobody's definition can be stretched to me being his father, I just felt what a father must feel.  I sat down this morning and wrote him a letter telling him just how proud I am to know him and to have spent time with him.  Only took me 5 pages to do it. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 06:00:33 pm »
JW;

You ought to send his Mom a copy, I'm sure it would make her swell with more pride and make her feel good for her hard work. Not many raised in a Single Parent Home turn out worth a damn, and, I said, not many. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 07:07:12 pm »
JW
congrats.
he may not be family by blood but you definitely made a positive impact on the boys life.
good on ya.
KH

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 09:55:02 pm »
JW if you were old enough I would be glad to call you Pa , but you ain't so you you will just have to settle for freind!
Till we meet again my friend keep up the good work and stand watching for this young mans return!
see ya on the other side! !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 01:07:03 pm »
Being that active in a child's life with out any obligation, solely by choice. That is an honorable thing. I promise you that young man recognizes that fact. You are more than a father to him an I salute you in that.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 01:52:28 pm »
JW;

You ought to send his Mom a copy, I'm sure it would make her swell with more pride and make her feel good for her hard work. Not many raised in a Single Parent Home turn out worth a damn, and, I said, not many. ;)

I spoke with her last nite on the phone for a long time.  It was punctuated with long silences, but she and I are comfortable inhabiting those silences.  At the end of the call, she said something that made me very angry, though.  She put in for elk tags without me.  Fortunately she did not draw so I will have to find a way to forgive her.

Meanwhile, his osage stave given to him by Wolf Watcher stands in the corner of my shop. Waiting, just like me.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 12:18:09 am »
Only 5 ??? Good for you dub I'm sure his eyes will shed a few also ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...