Author Topic: D bow from billets?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
D bow from billets?
« on: August 19, 2014, 07:54:39 pm »
Hey Guys,

I'm almost hesitant to ask this question because I feel like the answer is no but I thought I would ask anyway. Can you make a bend in handle bow from billets spliced together? I feel like the answer is no because a bow made from billets in glued together in the handle, a bendy bow bends in the handle, and a glued joint is probably never as strong as a solid piece of wood in this situation and a stiff handle would be better idea. Now you're probably wondering; Aaron, why on Earth would you want to make a bow that bends in the handle from billets? My only reason is because I possess two pacific yew billets and I wanted to eventually make a bow based on the bows found at Nydam, which were basically medieval English Longbows, which don't bend in the handle. Any replies or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:13:07 pm by ajbruggink »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: D bow from billets?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:19:08 pm »
I've seen it done but I wouldn't do it myself.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:18:34 am »
If the mating surface is perfect it is said tightbond joints are stronger than the wood itself. I'd try it. I'd wrap the handle with hemp and glue or something.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 03:26:13 am »
Just my view... if you want to do spliced Yew billets with a bend in the handle the best way is to do the splice and then take off a shallow curved scoop off the back (longer than the splice) say 3/16 thick so that it still leaves some sapwood at the splice. Then splice on a long (8-9"?) matching piece of sapwood cut curved to suit and carefully blended in
I've done repairs like that where a splice has failed. The splice is fine on the compression side, as the force is just pushing it tighter together.
Look at it as if you are joining two bits of 1" x 1/2" with a simple butt joint... no strength at all, add the plate over the back and suddenly you could bend it.
The repair of a smashed splice is detailed in my blog... starting here. (Ok it was an ELB not a full bend in the handle, but it's a good draw weight/length)
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/damn-it-smashed-in-my-hand.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:13:09 am »
I know I've said this before, and I still don't have photos to prove it, but Joe Gibbs has made English warbows in the 160# draw weight range that bend fully through the handle full compass from two billets.  He uses a 7" long z splice, glues them up and then pretends it's just a normal full length stave.  If done properly, the glue area should be stronger than the surrounding wood, so there's absolutely no reason it shouldn't work.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 09:15:48 am »
As I recall Tom Sawyer did it a few years back... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 09:18:01 am »
I've done one that way. To the best of my knowledge its still alive.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 06:26:33 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to try it with some other, cheaper wood first to see what happens and I'll post the results.