Author Topic: ace bandage on sinew?  (Read 3705 times)

Offline 4giveme

ace bandage on sinew?
« on: August 19, 2014, 08:42:03 am »
Hi guys,
I read somewhere that Ishi would wrap his sinewed backed bows with tree bark to dry. I have used a ace bandage (our moden day tree bark ;).) in the past for rawhide backing, but I have not ever wrapped a sinew backed bow. I usually apply the sinew and let it dry. what are the pros and cons of wrapping the bow after the sinew is applied?
thanks and God bless,
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: ace bandage on sinew?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:36 am »
Ive never covered mine with anything Tommy. Some do.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:52:43 am »
Hi all,
I just remembered where I read it-
"During the process of drying he bound the sinew tightly to the bow with long, thin strips of willow bark. After several days he removed this bandage and smoothed off the edges of the dry sinew, sized the surface with more glue and rubbed everything smooth with sandstone. Then he bound the handgrip for a space of four inches with a narrow buckskin thong."
Saxton Pope- Hunting with the Bow and Arrow

Thanks Drum for your comment. I don't cover mine either, but there may be some thing to it since Pope says Ishi's bows are the best.

You know I just realized something else, Ishi used fish glue, which is applied differently then hide glue. Because, and please correct me if I am wrong but I think fish glue stay a liquid longer at room temperature then hide glue that gels rather fast when applied and removed from a heat source. Wrapping sinew and hide glue may not be best plan after all. two different methods of gluing may be a factor.
any thoughts are welcome. 
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:04:10 am »
I wrap bows I have sinewed with strips of old bed sheets but remove it after an hour or two. I do it mainly to smooth out the sinew. Once the hide glue has gelled I remove the wrap and set the bow aside to dry. I do the same with rawhide and snake skins, even when using TBIII. Once the glue has begun to set I remove the wrap and trim the backing while it and the glue are still somewhat soft. At this time I also push out air pockets and excess glue with my thumb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:13 am »
Just don't say "last time" Pat.....:)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 02:45:22 pm »
i think I read Ishi used glue that was like a crayon,, so maybe that is why he used the wrap

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:27:38 pm »
Thanks guys for your take on it. PatM very nice build long and I am going to try it on my next sinew backing. The bow really looks clean.

So patm would an ace bandage applied too much clamping in your option?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:36:17 pm by 4giveme »
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 09:36:32 am »
Last sinewed bow I made I put a layer of saran wrap over the sinew and then wrapped tightly with an ace bandage. Like Pat I took the wrap off after a few hours and had a really smooth sinew back.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:51 am »
Thanks guys for your take on it. PatM very nice build long and I am going to try it on my next sinew backing. The bow really looks clean.

So patm would an ace bandage applied too much clamping in your option?
The clamping effect is dependent on how tightly you wrap rather than the type of material used. Something much less bulky is preferable to wrap with. Rolls of thin stretchy gauze are the best.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 12:17:31 pm »
PatM,
I just read your sinew build along for the third time. And just let me say Bo knows football... Bo knows baseball... Bo might know a lot... But Pat knows sinew!!  :laugh:.
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.