Author Topic: reflex deflex n handle.  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Renacs

reflex deflex n handle.
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:08:37 pm »
It's seem to happen a lot. Ill have a nice stave and for what ever reason I'm dealt with one limb reflexes , and the other is deflex. Or actually one is straight on the other is reflex. With the natural bend being in the handle heating it out isn't a good option. I want to keep it thick. So when tillering, to achieve a even load on the limbs should I almost picture the bow as two half.  at brace and full draw the limbs would look uneven. But be doing their fair share. So I guess my question is how do you tiller staves like that.

Offline Renacs

Re: reflex deflex n handle.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:16:28 pm »
Here's a example. It's not the best money shot, but you can kinda see the fades.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:20:42 pm »
Hi,
Others will chime in who have a lot more experience then me  >:D, but IMO.... I have in the past not really tried to take the natural R/D out of the limbs, and tillered them to get the same shape that I was going for (be it circular or elliptical), in both limbs at draw. But I would always put the limb with the more reflex on the bottom limb, because the lower one should be a little heavier then the upper.
Hope this helps
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:26:05 pm »
I am working on a stave that has one straight limb, and one snakey limb with deflex. I have just tillered it as each limb is a different bow. Just tiller them to look right. Slow and steady. All I have had to do is steam a twist out of one limb. I'm new too, just my 2 cents.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Renacs

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 07:28:54 pm »
This bow. Is kinda a bad example. I force the limbs into being top and. Due to the handle. And the pic does give a little bit of a distorted view of the upper limb. Since that pic. The bows tiller has kinda even out from the so new. I assume.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:03:49 pm »
Once you get the bow tillered draw it by hand. You should be able to feel if there is a difference in the weight of the limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC