Author Topic: Starter Questions for you all  (Read 1460 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Starter Questions for you all
« on: August 18, 2014, 10:54:10 pm »
OK guys with retrospect of my last post I have watched the rattle stick video again and have the new video from Pine Hollow Longbows coming in the mail. I have one good hickory stave which I will post some pictures when I get home of. I also have two sets of billets, one snakey set of osage and one straight of hickory. To try and get my first bow completed...

What do you think the best option is... billets or full stave

Two, what dimensions should I shoot for? The stave is over 70 inches and thick enough...

I'd like to keep it around 45-50# at 28 inch draw and use it for hunting specifically.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Starter Questions for you all
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:37:57 pm »
I would go with the full stave for your first bow. Check out my post about a hickory bow I'm building. It has some good measurements in it. Patrick http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,47881.msg654481.html#msg654481
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:43:08 pm »
Where in the wide, wide world are you?  Maybe we have someone close by that can help walk you thru the first bow?  Lotta guys in here are pretty handy at explaining what to do when you are shoulder to shoulder with them and knee deep in shavings!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tyke

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:49:05 pm »
I would go stave and listen tovwhat people are telling you the people on this site have made every bow with me via there advice and my only mistakes came from not listening
why buy it when you can build it

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 11:56:02 pm »
JW I am located in western New Hampshire... Right on the Connecticut River near Ascutney Vermont.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 01:19:32 am »
Hmmm, long drive from the Black Hills, but you are welcome to stop by my shop anytime.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.