Author Topic: split in bow back, any ideas?  (Read 3829 times)

Eric Kol

split in bow back, any ideas?
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:22:55 pm »
Hey folks. While chasing the growth rings on a buckthorn stave, I noticed a crack in the back. It is very very tiny (thin) and about 2" long. It is with the grain and does not violate any fibers. It also does not show on the belly. Can I "fill" this with wood glue? Can it be saved with backing? should I even attempt to tiller this or back it first (if indeed that would help). I hate to give up on it as it has proven to be a bit of a pain to find suitable buckthorn for staves, but if it will be a waste of time...... Perhaps I could try to get two billets out of it?
Eric

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: split in bow back, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:27:20 pm »
probally a dry check. I'd fill it with super glue not wood glue. As long as it doesnt run off the edge of the limb it should be ok. You could wrap it with super glue soaked thread after tillering for extra insurance.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:27:06 am »
I'd do as Ryan said with the super glue but its probably not necessary to wrap it. If it is a small check fill it and let it dry for a while. If it is bigger, fill it in sessions. I have used fine saw dust and super glue to fill large checks, voids and knot holes.
   Will you post pics of the check?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:37:57 am »
What Ryan and Pat said,we have a lot of Hickory do that and as long as it is lenght wise with the grain and no run offs it will be fine.Not sure with buckthorn but with Hickory it ant a problem. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Eric Kol

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 01:30:35 pm »
Thanks guys, I will post a pic, it is biiger today. I removed some heart wood behind the area to so if this would halt it. Live some learn some. Eric

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 02:16:46 pm »
What the other guys said...! ;)  Fill it with superglue and consider it a mark of character. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:37:38 pm »
Same as everybody else,but I heat it lightly and flow the superglue in.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:19:26 am »
Seal the back again. Apparently your stave is still loosing moisture and that is why the check in increasing.   Spray shellac or carpenters glue will work fine to seal the back. Get the stave to floor tiller stage and clamp it to a form and allow it to dry a bit more.  ;)  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC