Author Topic: HBI - Finished  (Read 7276 times)

Offline Blob

HBI - Finished
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:03:51 pm »
Hey guys, I need some opinions please.

I glued up an Ipe board with a Hickory backing a couple days ago.  I'm pretty sure the handle and tip overlays are some species of Rosewood.

Current dimensions are: 66" ttt  1 1/4" wide.  Backing is 1/8" thick.  Ipe is 3/4" thick.  I am shooting for 50-55# @26".

What I'm wondering is how I should do my width taper.  A straight taper starting close to the handle or the last 1/3 of the limb (which is how it is currently cut)?

Here are a few photos:

Overall

Close up of the nice grain on the overlay:

Handle - 8" long

Suggestions please!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:18:06 pm by Blob »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: HBI Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:23:29 am »
You could do either a straight taper or go out a few inches before tapering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:01:08 am »
Id suggest tapering right off the fades. Ipe is soooo stiff you can end up thin. Looks good so far, nice stats to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blob

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:33:44 am »
Thanks guys.  I was thinking that might be the better option.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 10:34:52 am »
Check out my "Howard" bow from last month. Its a heavier draw weight and pulls a few inches farther, yet its only 1" wide. Don't be scared to narrow it as well. Keep plenty of ipe on the belly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blob

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 10:56:52 am »
I have another piece of IPE that I ripped from the original board that is 1" wide that will probably be my next project. That will probably be Hickory backed as well.

Offline Blob

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 08:31:12 pm »
Ok, so I'm lazy...lol  I want to try to cut down the amount of scraping that I have to do on the belly.  What would be a good thickness taper to use as a starting point that I can rough out on the band saw?

Suggestions please!

Oh, and here is a photo of the new width taper

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:37:42 pm by Blob »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:58:25 pm »
No cheating, unless you want a junker. If I did any tapering at all, it wouldnt be over an 1/8". Just start floor tillering until you get it perfect.

Offline Blob

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 10:23:42 pm »
So I didn't cheat.  I started the taper at 5/8" at the fades and went to 1/2" at the tips.  It still needs a lot of scraping!

This is how it sits now

Offline Blob

Re: HBI Advice - In Progress
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 10:45:48 am »
Are my tips to wide?

I hope the photo isn't too large, I can't actually view the photos that I post while I'm at work

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 11:08:34 am »
Your tips can go a little narrow but I wouldn't worry about that until final shaping and finishing.
 If you pre-tiller(pre-taper) the belly before hand you can put the combo into Perry Reflex for the glue-up and you'll get a nice, evenly bending reflex when it comes off of the clamps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blob

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 11:57:28 am »
Thanks Pat

I'll be doing that with the next one that I do for sure.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 12:19:04 pm »
It's hard to tell from the picture, but did you taper your width right out of the fades, or did you go parallel for a portion, then taper to the tips?

If you began your width taper right at the fades (pyramid style), then I would caution you against tapering the thickness. I have done that before on strict pyramid bows, and when the thickness is also tapered, the near handle wood doesn't bend enough while the tips bend too much and it winds up overstressing the middle of the limb and causes a bad hinge that's hard to fix...

Oddly enough, when I did this before, I tapered the limb from 5/8" to 7/16" and I put a tape measure on the spot where it hinged, and it was exactly 1/2" thick. I felt like the wood was trying to tell me something, so I started making all of them a consistent 1/2" thick from fade to tip. Over the course of tillering, you're going to wind up thinning the tips a little bit for a good circular tiller, but to try to pre-taper the thickness with a bandsaw from 5/8" to 1/2" is a bit too much - at least in my experience.

At any rate, never stop making sawdust. The only way to really learn is to "do." I'm the type of guy who has to build a bow purposefully "wrong" so that I can visually see why things happen the way that they do - I've broken MANY bows this way...  ::)  It also teaches me what conventions never to break, what conventions can be broken, and what conventions can be bent. But that's the fun of this hobby - it's a process of ongoing improvement, and always a learning experience!  :laugh:
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Blob

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »
It's hard to tell from the picture, but did you taper your width right out of the fades, or did you go parallel for a portion, then taper to the tips?

If you began your width taper right at the fades (pyramid style), then I would caution you against tapering the thickness. I have done that before on strict pyramid bows, and when the thickness is also tapered, the near handle wood doesn't bend enough while the tips bend too much and it winds up overstressing the middle of the limb and causes a bad hinge that's hard to fix...

Oddly enough, when I did this before, I tapered the limb from 5/8" to 7/16" and I put a tape measure on the spot where it hinged, and it was exactly 1/2" thick. I felt like the wood was trying to tell me something, so I started making all of them a consistent 1/2" thick from fade to tip. Over the course of tillering, you're going to wind up thinning the tips a little bit for a good circular tiller, but to try to pre-taper the thickness with a bandsaw from 5/8" to 1/2" is a bit too much - at least in my experience.

At any rate, never stop making sawdust. The only way to really learn is to "do." I'm the type of guy who has to build a bow purposefully "wrong" so that I can visually see why things happen the way that they do - I've broken MANY bows this way...  ::)  It also teaches me what conventions never to break, what conventions can be broken, and what conventions can be bent. But that's the fun of this hobby - it's a process of ongoing improvement, and always a learning experience!  :laugh:

Excellent...now I'm confused.

I started the width taper 1" out of  the fades.  Maybe I'm missing something, but are you suggesting that I should keep the thickness even from fade to tip and rely on the width taper to provide the tillering?  If so what thickness should I shoot for?  It is currently at 15/32 at the thinnest point.  It seems to me that would still be too much material to achieve the draw weight that I am shooting for.

This is how it looks on the tree right now

Offline autologus

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 10:27:08 pm »
Looks like it is time for low brace to me.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.