Author Topic: Wood ID help  (Read 2617 times)

Offline 4giveme

Wood ID help
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:30:49 pm »
Hi guys this is a tuff one,  :o but worth a shot this PA after all!

During the clean up of hurricane sandy I was given a log about 6 inches round, and was told it was maple buy the tree guy.

Now it might well be maple but I don't know, all I have to go on is the bark and the wood itself and how it reacts to shaping. When shaping it is very tuff to work, and it shreds into fibers bad not saw dust when rasping the stave.

Here are some pics. http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/Laura_Brooksbank/library/Unknown%20stave

Thanks andGod bless
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wood ID help
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:16:09 am »
It doesn't look like maple bark to me. Maybe ash or elm but that's just a guess.   Also, I'd say that log wasn't handled properly from the time it was blown over and rot has set in. Take a small sliver of the wood and do a end test.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 03:11:15 am »
I'm guessing linden or basswood. Is it really soft wood? Can you dent it with your nail?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 03:53:10 am »
.... Also, I'd say that log wasn't handled properly from the time it was blown over and rot has set in. Take a small sliver of the wood and do a end test.

Pat,
The wood is very white and crisp. I see no sign of rot or weakness that would intricate structural soundness. When I got the log I sealed the ends with TBII and split it into quarters, then left it to dry til yesterday.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing linden or basswood. Is it really soft wood? Can you dent it with your nail?

Darksoul,
I can press my nail into it and leave a dent. Some other info that may help is the stave is now 2inches wide and 56inches long by 1 1/2inches deep and weighs 3 lb 14 oz. the wood is milky white. Gives off no Oder when worked. I will try to compare it to another stave of similar size of a known wood that should give us a density.

God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline autologus

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 08:08:09 am »
The bark sort of looks like cottonwood.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 09:02:34 am »
It looks a lot like elm to me too. I'm no wood expert, but I know elm.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 09:50:14 am »
The way the wood shredded instead of curled indicated to me the wood wasn't sound or at least not appropriate for bow building. Rot doesn't always manifest with discolored wood. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:43:49 am »
The way the wood shredded instead of curled indicated to me the wood wasn't sound or at least not appropriate for bow building. Rot doesn't always manifest with discolored wood. 

Good point pat... or the shredding may just be a characteristic of the wood. The thing to do now is for me to walk the wood and find that bark on a tree, cut a limb and work it and see how it reacts. I am for now anyway, going to say it is linden wood. from what I read on wood data base it sounds a lot like it.
thanks for you help as always and I will keep you updated as I find out more.

God bless
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.