Author Topic: how do u make a deflex/reflex form  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Blacktail

how do u make a deflex/reflex form
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:30:19 pm »
has any one made one of these forms...i would like to make one..right now i just have a piece of wood the is 1 1/2 wide so i hope it will make the grade...SO,if you can post all the pics and info so my little brain dont hurt...thanks john

Offline Blaflair2

Re: how do u make a deflex/reflex form
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:57:53 pm »
Are you talking for a glue up or to heat bend a stave? Glue ups just need blocks on a 2x4 where u want your bends and after u glue and wrap u can clamp to desired shape.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:11:32 am »
John, I'm assuming you will be building a selfbow.   If you know of a R/D bow of the design you like you can trace its shape on the board and cut I out. You want the form set up so the bow is belly up in the form so you can heat the belly as you clamp it.
 If you are building a lam bow, Blaflair's suggestion is simple but very effective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 01:00:24 am »
thanks guys for the info...pat i do have deflex bow so maybe  i could trace it and add reflex to it...but if any one else has ideas lets hear them...

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 08:27:46 am »
I've been messin around with this very thing for a little while now. The way I like to make a R/D selfbow is in two stages. First with a caul that puts the initial rd shape, with about 1 1/2" to 2" of deflex and the tips coming in about even with the handle. Then I work on getting the stave braced and tillered out to 18" or so. Then I put each limb on a 16" radius from mid limb to tip. You can see the results of such with any of my latest RDs posted or Pappys RD yew.

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:43:23 pm »
thanks so much will for the info and pics...i am going to get it started soon....john

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 09:29:57 pm »
Page 4 (How to build a longs) R/D caul

I traced it at MoJam

I just looked and I deleted those pictures so the build a long is gone.

You can have mine if you want to pay the shipping.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:10:06 pm by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.