Author Topic: Is this Usable?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Mike Joe

Is this Usable?
« on: August 14, 2014, 12:25:26 am »
I've got a privet sapling that I cut a couple months ago. Two weeks after cutting it, I debarked and roughed out the stave. Afterwards I sealed the back with polyurethane, but I accidentally left it outside in the sun for a while, and the back checked pretty bad. I know checks aren't too big of a deal if they stay within the limb ( these do ) But since this was a sapling it has a pretty high crown, some of the cracks are on the side of the bow. Could these cause the growth rings to come apart when I start bending the wood, or am I over thinking this? I'm open to backing it, if that would help, but if it's a lost cause then I don't want to waste that much time on it. Thanks for your assistance.
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Is this Usable?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:36:38 am »
Only one way to tell,go for it,as long as they don't run off the sides they should be fine. Hard to say about the ones on the side,like I said you just have to try and see what happens. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:21:40 am »
I agree with Pappy, if they not run out, they shouldnt cause any problems.
Maybe you could seal them with epoxy using a hairdryer(sorry, don't know the right phrase  :-\ )
Regards,
Benedikt
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:23:10 pm »
Thanks Pappy! I will just tiller it super slow, and definitely wear safety goggles.

Benedikt - I will seal them up with something for sure.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 03:03:44 pm »
what Pappy said :)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 08:10:15 pm »
On staves like that I will rough out the belly and back profile with a hatchet, won't take long. Once you get it roughed out you'll have a better idea if there is a bow in it or not. I have no experience with privet but I almost always take a stave this far just to see since the tree has been cut down already. I should qualify my comments though and admit
to being a sucker for character ridden, cracked and knotty bows. And I have quite a bit of firewood to prove it. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:21:48 pm »
On staves like that I will rough out the belly and back profile with a hatchet, won't take long. Once you get it roughed out you'll have a better idea if there is a bow in it or not. I have no experience with privet but I almost always take a stave this far just to see since the tree has been cut down already. I should qualify my comments though and admit
to being a sucker for character ridden, cracked and knotty bows. And I have quite a bit of firewood to prove it. ;)

And a bunch of beautifully tillered bows too,  I've see them.  That's some good advice,  I'd take if I had a stave like that....just say'in.  :-\
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 11:04:23 pm »
Badly Bent - I went out to the shed this evening and roughed it out. There was only one crack that's really giving me a problem with the layout, but I think I can get rid of it by narrowing the limbs about a quarter of an inch. This stave's got some pretty cool knots, and cracks, it should look really cool if I can keep it in one piece  :) And Danzn Bar's definitely right. I've seen pictures of some of your bows that were pretty sweet. :)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 11:11:53 pm »
Thats the spirit man, worse that can happen is a broken bow and some disappointment.  ;D
Sounds like you got it licked though. Keep us posted, not sure if I've seen a privet bow or not but am interested in
seeing how it works out.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 12:16:38 am »
OK I'll let you know how it turns out, good or bad  ;D I've only used Privet once before, and It made a decent bow, although the top limb came apart quite suddenly after about a thousand arrows. I'm trying to redeem myself with this one.