Author Topic: advise or advice  (Read 4502 times)

TAGGERD

advise or advice
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:27:15 pm »
i have contacted a guy who is going to help me make my first bow.as i have stated before he makes a bunch of bows but uses power tools.anyway he said for 40.00 he will help me make a board hickory bow or i can make a hickory bow out of a stave. i figure to make out of a stave might be 20.00 or so more.my ? is does it make that much difference board virsus stave.i am doing this to get what ever lesson i can as well as have a pattern or bow to look at when i make one with out the use of powertools.any help would be appreciated.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: advise or advice
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:06:15 am »
Boy that is a question.  I like board bows because the wood is easier to come by here in the desert.  Although there is no substitute for a good selfbow.  It don't really matter what you choose since when it is time to build your second, the guys can help with any questions you have that weren't covered on the first.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 02:34:07 am »
A good hickory board will make a fine bow.
Gordon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:55:58 am »
Having an experienced bow maker show you the ropes will accelerate the learning curve.
I would still recommend that you invest in the Traditional Bowyers Bible 3 book set, a subscription to
Primitive Archer magazine is a must have also. Here is a link for the books http://www.horsefeathersranch.com/books.htm
The most important thing is start making shavings and have fun. Welcome to PA.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 09:31:48 am »
i started with hickory board bows. i've got a couple good shooters made from hickory boards. having a bowyer show you the ropes is definately a good idea. take the help with an open mind and don't be afraid to break a bow or two.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:28:15 pm »
I would definitely make the board bow first.  It will be a cheaper lesson, and you will have all the information you can absorb with the simpler project.  There will be plenty of info that will carry over to stave bows.  I think tillering is the main thing to see done and have explained, its hard to read about tillering and what to look for, and get it right.  That, and how to actually use hand tools properly.  You'd be surprised how many people will pull a rasp over wood on the return stroke, not knowing it cuts only in one direction.  Or not knowing what a scraper is and how it works.  Stuff like that, you'll get with the cheaper board bow lesson.  You can always read the additional stuff about stave bows, backed bows, etc.  and ask questions here as you progress down this path.

As for power tools, they don't do anything a hand tool won't.  They just allow you to do it faster, with less effort.  So keep that in mind if he shows you methods using power tools.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 12:29:42 pm »
Oh and "advice" is a noun, while "advise" is a verb.  Someone advises you about bowering, or you get advice on the topic of bowyering.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 12:34:35 pm »
Lennie, will there be a pop quiz at the end of the class....Lol

Congratulation taggard on begining your journey. You are fortunate to have an experienced Bowyer to help you on your  first bow. Everything the guys said is good. The board will be cheaper and when done correctly will turn out a good shooter.The thing i had/have a hard time with was understanding the choosing of a good board. Pay attention to what he says about grain orientation and it will save you a lot of grief.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

TAGGERD

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 08:49:21 pm »
thanks to all and tom it was a joke lol more of a attention getter i guess it worked

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 09:09:56 pm »
I'll play devil's advocate and go against the herd-I'd build the stave bow instead of the board. Staves are usually tougher, and just, well, cooler. As an unaltered piece of a recently-living tree, each stave has its own individual personality and character. Like snowflakes,women, and coon dogs; no two are exactly alike.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 09:31:44 pm »
   Like Steve said, I'd go with the Hickory stave bow. Hickory is tough, almost indestructable. It is also an easy ,first bow to build. All you have to do is peal the bark and make it look like a bow. No growth rings to chase,you learn how to tiller and line you string nocks up. Lot's of lessons and 9 out of 10 times ,you end up with  bow you can shoot and not worry about breaking. Then your friends see it, you are cool  ;D,and you are the new bow teacher :D. Then it's up to you to learn how to build different bows or charge your buddies to show them how to build a stave bow. ;)  The price for someone to walk you through your first bow is reasonble to me, Lord knows I've paid more than that for Poker lessons.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 09:02:40 am »
Hillbilly, what if he gets a stave like my first wife?!  A board would make a suitable first girlfriend, he can make his mistakes and get slapped in the face (lets hope figuratively, not literally) and be in a better position for a serious relationship with a stave.

Great quote.  Come to think of it, my dog's got a few runouts too.  But this wife has almost no knots.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO