Author Topic: String Follow OR Set  (Read 8045 times)

wvfknapper

String Follow OR Set
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:18:02 pm »
Ok I have heard string follow and set mentioned as being different, whats the difference ? I always considered string follow and set the same  :-\

Cornfused

wvflintknapper

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: String Follow OR Set
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:35:50 pm »
To me there is a minor distinction but they can be the same. A bow that follows the string actually takes the shape of a strung bow at least partially. I make a bow and start with a straight stave. It takes 2 inches of set or in this case string follow too-the limbs curve around and follow the string when unstrung. BUT let's  say I started working a stave with 3 inches of reflex. I end up with 1 inch of reflex. There is no string follow because the limbs do not follow the curvature of the strung bow because there is some reflex remaining. BUT there are  2 inches of set. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 06:36:27 pm »
Take a bow that has 2" of reflex to start after breaking it in it has 1" of deflex
it has taken 3" of set but only has 1" of string follow IMO
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:33:14 pm »
What is the fastest way to create string follow or set? I built a bamboo backed, osage, ipe, osage, ipe lam bow.  When I glued it up I put 3" of reflex in the bow.  when the bow was pulling 60lbs at 27inches, I shot the bow in and it came to a perfectly flat bow....absolutely flat.  After I reduced the weight to what I wanted, 50lbs at 26" and shot it in, the bow now has 3 + inches of string follow in each limb.  What caused this and how or can I correct it?

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 08:41:18 pm »
First rule of selfbow makin': NEVER draw a bow past it's intended draw wieght, especially during the tiller process.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 08:49:21 pm »
Dano, if your answer was to my question, I know the rule very very well.....lol.....don't ask how I know that....hehehe..  That is why the bow started out to be a 60 lb bow and that is the poundage that I tested it through out the tillering.  I wante a heavy bow, but not that heavy......lol.......just not what I used to be......heheheh

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 09:25:56 pm »
Set can be defined as permanent deformation of the limbs from tillering and shooting in. String follow is a temporary deformation of the limbs that you get after unbracing the bow after use. String follow is reclaimed after being unbraced for an amount of time
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

wvfknapper

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 09:19:53 pm »
Thanks for all the info, I got it now  ;)

wvflintknapper

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:38:25 pm »
And so the $50.00 question is how do you eliminate set/string follow in the tillering process without inducecing reflex intially?  Am I correct in understanding that set is overly compressed belly fibers. If so does that mean that it ws bent too much in a certain area during tillering therby isolating the compression in a small section that was too thick and now its memory has been instilled with that position as a return point of reference?   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 01:43:51 pm »
And so the $50.00 question is how do you eliminate set/string follow in the tillering process without inducecing reflex intially?  Am I correct in understanding that set is overly compressed belly fibers. If so does that mean that it ws bent too much in a certain area during tillering therby isolating the compression in a small section that was too thick and now its memory has been instilled with that position as a return point of reference?   Danny
Can be caused by that.  Can be from just overstressing the woods ability, poor design. Exercising the limbs during tillering and lots of slow patient tillering are the best remedies. Take a little wood off then exercise a lot.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 03:24:36 pm »
Set always happens, because we're making our bows out of wood. A couple inches of it is normal during tillering. That's why so many people reflex staves before tillering. Set can be minimized, as Justin said, but IMO, it can't be completely eliminated unless you start building bows from something other than wood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 03:56:22 pm »
IMO, any amount that the finished bow has not returned to its original profile, is string follow, or set. I think they are the same thing. If you start with a 3" reflexed stave, and it ends up with 1" of reflex after tillering, it has followed the string 2", or taken 2" of set. Just because an unbraced longbow has a straight profile, doesn't mean it hasn't taken any set. In fact, a bit (<2") of set, is a GOOD thing. The bow is much sweeter in the hand, has less hand shock,and is more forgiving to shoot. Don't sweat the set!!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 12:12:22 pm »
Don't sweat the set!!

I like that.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 02:18:37 pm »
Like George says,..."set happens" ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline George Tsoukalas