Author Topic: Adding feathers to bow backing "Help"  (Read 4977 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Adding feathers to bow backing "Help"
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:32:54 am »
I'm finishing a nice little  rawhide backed osage bow  for a good friends 5 yr old grand daughter. This will be the 3rd kids bow trying to add some quail feathers to the back for decoration. The last 2 were acceptable but the feathers dealt me fits trying to get them to stay in place. Any suggestions?

Quail feathers compliments of Criverville. Thanks Cipriano!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline 4dog

Re: Adding feathers to bow backing "Help"
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 10:43:56 am »
"have you tried staples"?  (bill murray-scrooged)

no help but ive always wanted to say that to someone...lol
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:06:01 am »
 ;D 4dog, you got any teeny weeny staples?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:21:44 pm »
Do you mean actually submerging them under a coating? You are best off using epoxy for that. Fly-rod forums have lots of info on doing that neatly.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 12:35:40 pm »
PatM, I got in a rush and added them with a water based super glue used in craft projects. It worked better than TB III that I used last time. I'm going to add multiple colors with a sponge to detract from the bright white background and then seal with tung oil or truoil.

I'm running late on the project, fell behind trying to get my trade bow done in time.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 12:36:26 pm »
Fred get with Bill, "Danzbar". He has done it and Ive seen it first hand. See what he has to say.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 01:47:51 pm »
Added some color. This should look good for a "Hailey" bow. She's only 5 so I don't think she'll be hunting yet.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 02:13:16 pm »
looks good from here!! like the design.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 06:05:11 pm »
Fred get with Bill, "Danzbar". He has done it and Ive seen it first hand. See what he has to say.

Bill would be a great resource for feathers as backing flair.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 07:39:35 am »
I ran into a guy at a small gathering in Richmond, KY that had done some feather backing that would knock your eyes out!  What was his name. . . . . ? Gummy Bear?. . . Bear Bait?. . . .Bear Azz?. . .Anyway, his was excellent indeed.  He is quite the arrow builder as well. >:D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 08:01:10 am »
Had to get this one done. Been up canning pickles since midnight. I'll definitely PM Danzbar before I start my next one. Biggest problem I ran into was feathers not sticking along the oil line close to the quill. Figure I need to start removing the oil from them with dawn and then rinsing. I ended up adding a small drop of sglue and pressing them down with a cue tip until they stuck.

Ok Greg, what's his name and is he available for lessons?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 01:42:13 pm »
please try this in a scrap piece of wood,, but I think Heavy Gel MEdium,, made by golden would work, ,coat the back and they should stick to it,,, it drys clear,, then you could coat again over it,, but I think a spray finish would work better for the feather

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 07:29:48 pm »
 go on primitive skills and ask Anthony for help he started that stuff

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 09:19:46 pm »
Fred,
PM me any time, I'd be glad to provide you with my experience.  I'm not good at describing what I do in print, but there are a few past post I've tried to described it.  And I don't know how to add a link.  The thing I have learned is.... don't glue down the feathers with a different finish than what you end up with.  for example I glued down some feathers with a softer finish than what I added over it to provide a gloss finish.  after some shooting in cold weather the finished cracked.  The best way, I have found and I'm about to do it again on two bows I'm building for my daughter and son-in-law is.....I glue the feathers down with a product called flex coat.  I used it on fishing rods when I built custom rods in the 80's.  It's a two part epoxy.  Then added a final coat after the first has cured of the same.  Do a search on feather backing and on "Blackhawk inspired molly".  Here are a few pic's of the molly.  PM me when your ready, and I'll try to help.
By the way, Greg is a pretty good shot with a "pistol",  >:D  even though he has trouble with names ;D ;D  Bear Azz???? that one really made me laugh.  :laugh: :laugh:
Till next time,
DBar   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:26:07 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 09:48:48 pm »
DBar, that is some beautiful work there. I'll definitely be getting in touch. I've been under the weather last couple of days and just can't get motivated or remember much of anything right now.
Hopefully I'll kick whatever this is and get back on track in a day or two.
Fred