Author Topic: Is this a problem?  (Read 2887 times)

Offline SamIAm

Is this a problem?
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:22:13 pm »
As I hope you can see from the picture, my bow has more natural reflex on the lower limb than on the top.  Distance to bottom of the tip on left is 3.25" and distance to bottom of tip on right side is 4.75 inch.  Is this a problem and if so what are your recommendations on how to take it out?  Bow is 66" tip to tip, 2" fades to 1.5" limb width, fade to tip starts at 10" down to .5 inch.  Thank you very much for your help.  Sam
"To thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is this a problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:35:39 pm »
Sam, that is not necessarily a problem. If it were me I'd put it on a form and heat even reflex into it. That will make it easier to get good tiller. IMO
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 03:09:44 pm »
I don't own any forms.  Are you suggesting removing reflex from the lower limb or increasing reflex to the upper limb, or does it matter?

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:30:45 pm »
You can build a simple form by cutting a long curve into a 2x6.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 08:57:15 pm »
it will be easier to tiller if you even it out,, but you can tiller as is as well,,,
if you dont have a form,,you could still gently bend more reflex in the one limb or take out of the other,, lots of options,,,, I just made a bow with similar tiller issues, and just tillered it as is,, and it worked out fine,,, some of the reflex will probably bend out when it get it close to full draw,, so dont over do it,, and wait for the bow to settle in,,

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 09:23:41 pm »
It's not a problem; it's a feature :D
I would heat bend the right hand limb to match the left limb. Too much reflex (over 3" generally) is a pain in the arse when tillering.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 12:44:45 am »
Looks good Sam,  I wish my bow that I'm working on had a reflex like that! I have one limb that's reflexed and one that's deflexed... make you a simple caul and reflex the whole thing evenly.  Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 05:08:00 am »
Shouldn't be much of a problem either way you decide to go, I would probably match them up if it was mine but have done it as is and they will come out alright. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:14:39 am »
Thanks to all.  I've got a plan now.  Gonna take some reflex out of that right (lower) limb, 4.75" is just too much.  But good advise to go slow and wait on some of the reflex to come out on it's own as I tiller it.  Thanks.