Author Topic: Adding feathers to bow backing "Help"  (Read 4973 times)

Offline horatio1226

Re: Adding feathers to bow backing "Help"
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 09:53:29 pm »
Man, that is gorgeous!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 09:54:21 pm »
OK .... any time ....hope you kick that stuff...................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:25 pm »
DBar, I did a little research on the epoxy you mentioned. Where's the best place to purchase it? I see it on the auction site. How much is needed and does it have a shelf life?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 10:21:53 pm »
Fred,
I use the flex coat "lite" it is thinner and lays down better.  I haven't bought any in a long time maybe 5 years, I would get it at Cabelas or Bass Pro.  I need to buy some now and noticed that they do not carry it anymore  :(  But, I just found out my wife purchased some for me at Amazon she got free shipping.  My guess as far as amount would be....to coat one avg. wide bow back would be about 1 oz. I only mix enough to do one coat at a time.  The work time is about 1 hour so you have to flip the bow from belly to back about every ten minutes for and even cure.  Make sure before you start that you have a way to do that.  As far as shelf life I've had it over five years with no problems.  I believe you can buy it in 2, 4 and 8oz amounts. I generally buy 4oz at a time except this time I did 8 do to availability and I'm wanting to do about 4 bows in the next year or so with it.  I glue down the feathers with it using a very soft hair brush.  Do not brush the feather much, if the vanes break apart they stay apart and let the back show through and not look as good IMO.
Good luck and post your results and any other questions, I'll do my best to answer.
Bill

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 10:14:47 pm »
Be cool to have one done that way DBear but I don't have that kinda patience !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 11:21:30 pm »
Holy cow Bill, That looks stupendous! Is that the one you were working at Marshall?
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 08:34:23 am »
Yep,  Cody that is the one, I tried to take a cheaper route on it and glue down the feathers with a softer finish/glue than the two part epoxy.  The flex coat (final finish) cracked after many shots but it was in below freezing weather when I shot it.  At Marshall I ended up scraping off the old finish and feathers and added a real nice WDB skin I traded with Dan (DGF).  Didn't put a real glossy finish on it and now it's my hunting bow for this year.  I've done other bows with feathers and flex coat with no problems as long as you use the same material gluing and finishing.
DBar 

Offline TRACY

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 10:29:52 am »
I ran into a guy at a small gathering in Richmond, KY that had done some feather backing that would knock your eyes out!  What was his name. . . . . ? Gummy Bear?. . . Bear Bait?. . . .Bear Azz?. . .Anyway, his was excellent indeed.  He is quite the arrow builder as well. >:D

I like gummy bear! ;D hopefully Bill saw this after sending you some of his awesome arrows. Liable to get pieces ;D
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 03:17:29 pm »
Just trying to brighten someone's day at Bill's expense. Sorry Bill >:D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN