Author Topic: Shark week  (Read 4675 times)

Offline Will Tell

Shark week
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:04:32 pm »
Watched a program last night about a Great White Shark off the coast of South Africa they called submarine. It was 35 plus feet long and showed it eating two people who were in the water when their boat flipped on a whale watching tour. The one poor guy was hanging on a cooler and the shark pushed him away from the rescue boats while he was yelling for help. He stopped moving and the shark jumped out of the water and took him in one bite. Good program if you get a chance to see it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Shark week
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:50:56 pm »
I'm a shark-o-holic to the extreme, love them all. I watched that program to, but it wasn't 35' long. More like 16'. All the same that was hard to watch wasn't it? I record and watch every shark program on TV. Id go down in a cage in a second if presented the opportunity.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:26:21 pm »
Interesting fact that the largest great white shark ever caught was taken of the coast of PEI ,canada at 7.3 meters and estimated at 5000 lbs.. 7.3 x 3.281. Equals 24' -11 "
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 04:31:29 pm »
Good fact bushy! That's a lot of fish meat right there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:45:48 pm »
Got the 35 feet from the program, don't know if it was 20 feet or 30 but it was one big fish.lol They could tell the fish by a scar by its eye, ate three people and bit a kids leg off while he was in a shark cage. Gives me the heebee gee bees thinking about it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:53:53 pm »
The daughter just got home from a weekend at Cocoa Beach. She couldn't wait to tell us about the shark that was cruising about 10' from her in chest deep water. Pearlie, come on down and I can get you close to some, but, no shark cage. :) They are all over the beach this time of year, a boy got bit last week on the East coast and one washed up on shore in St Pete over the weekend sick.

They have also been tracking a Great White cruising off the East coast for the last month, kinda unusual for here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:50:08 pm »
When I went to college in Jensen Beach, FL in 1969-71 I was surfing at Jansen Beach one day. Most of the swimmers were out of the water because sharks were present. I was sitting on my board when the water boiled about 20' behind me. Then I noticed the people on the beach were yelling and jumping up and down waving me in. When I got to shore they told me that all they saw was the tail of a shark but the tail looked to be bigger than me.  :o   I never saw it but there were sand sharks, tiger sharks, hammerheads and spinners on a regular basis there. The Gulf Stream came pretty close to the coast down there.
     On another occasion I was fishing with 4 other friends in an 18' tri-hull boat just out of sight of land near Hilton Head Is. SC.
 I hooked a big tiger shark(about 8') and after fighting it for about an hour and fifteen minutes I got it up to the boat. I asked if anyone had a club or pistol or anything to dispatch the shark and nobody did so I forced it and broke the line. A few of the guys wanted to tail rope the shark and haul it in the boat. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 10:27:45 am »
Pat, when I was a surfer dude, we used to surf Sebastian Inlet on the East coast. When the cold fronts moved in there was a break about 75 yards out from the end of the jetty that only broke when it was 10'+. They called it Monster Hole because of the big sharks that hung out there. it used to get real unnerving to sit 200 yards off shore and see a 4' fin cut the water near you. It didn't help when the shark fisherman would start chumming the out going tide, either.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 10:33:04 am »
Yeah Eddie, that was before JAWS and the sharks were friendlier then.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 10:47:16 am »
Last April I was in Marathon fishing out near the reef. My brother in law caught a small shark in the 30" range. The ding dong left his luggage sitting in the rental car center so he was wearing my shorts. Long story short, that shark spun around lighting fast and latched right unto his shorts where his manhood should be, he missed his manhood but instantly bit a 2" hole in my shorts! And I mean instantly! I laughed so hard, but the truth is it could have been REAL bad Real fast. Blood leaves quickly from that spot and we where miles and miles offshore.

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 11:20:05 am »
I watched that show too. That show was fiction. Shark Week and Discovery has begun doing these made up shows the last few years in a Documentary style format as if they really happened. Last year they did megladon and Discovery has done the mermaid show a time or 2. They are always a step up from a sci-fi movie when it comes to acting. In my opinion it really hurt the Networks credibility.

Yall may already know that but it kind of sounds like you thought it was real.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 04:13:04 pm »
Mmmmmm, yummy fur seals!

Offline Renacs

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 11:42:17 pm »
My most unnerving shark experience happened when I was returning from a beach dive at Lauderdale beach. I was about 40yards out waste deep with my diving partner. We had a large grouper and several bugs. When we seen a very large shadow heading out way fast. I thought for sure it was a big bull of tiger commuting to steal my catch. As my buddy hid behind me (it was only his third or fourth dive ever). I launched my grouper towards it. But it played no attention to it and kept bearing down on us. So I went under so I could see it and defend my lobsters. The giant tiger turned out to be a manatee.  I hate being on the surface.And not seeing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 07:53:58 pm »
I had the same thing happen to me spear fishing in murky water off Boynton beach. I was a 100 yds off shore with my partner when we saw a shadow about  12' long go by 30 yds away. My "partner" hauled butt and left me. I ended up backing out on the bottom the whole distance to the beach while the shadow kept cruising back and forth in front of me. I did screw the .357 on my spear, though.

Got to shore and all of the people on the beach that watched us get in the water asked us if we saw the big Hammerhead that had been there all day. ::)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:06:27 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida