Author Topic: halfeye's going back to carving, painting done now, a little finish work left  (Read 43415 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: halfeye's going back to carving, but still checkin in (lots of pics)
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 12:54:23 am »
What in tarnation hell Rich.  That is some if the most beautiful carving I have seen.  Does this mean no shorties for a while or for good.  If it's for good then how am I going to acquire one of you bows >:D.  I am going to be watching this like a hawk.  I love wood carving.  Not to do but the look.  There is a gal out here named Lona that just passed away, she was one of the best I have seen too.  Her work was mostly birds in the end.  I saw a kestrel she did that was hard to believe.  I am very glad to see some of you other work.  You are a very talented man.

Offline half eye

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2014, 06:20:33 pm »
Wizardgoat, I'll shoot some pics tomorrow, bud.

Idaho, Email me about a bow trade, got one going right now but allways time for friends.

Here's todays effort, after getting my bandsaw all set up from extending it's depth of cut. I did manage to get the Eagle roughed out of the block and the pikes pelvic and pectoral fins cut out.
2 sets of pics.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 06:22:43 pm »
last 2 pics. If you notice the order of cutting is to cut out the plan view....then put the 2 pieces back on the block with masking tape, then cut out the profile.....cut right through the tape.
rich

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 09:33:00 pm »
Can't wait to see more very interesting project.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2014, 09:47:33 pm »
This is the best ,thanks for showing the down and dirty side of your work. I look forward to every addition
Thanks for sharing
Roger -Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline half eye

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2014, 10:32:08 am »
Thanks bonepile, these big projects are exactly that a big dirt pile for the first half anyway.

Wizard.... here are the tools. For most all carvings it is just the band saw and the foredom, but the chainsaw, saw's all, and grinders are for the big stuff like the full saixed deer, turkey, eagle etc. They would not be necessary, but it would take forever to get rid of the excess wood with the small tools.
rich
PS: most of my tools were 30 years old (like the wood burner in the pic with the grinders) but had to get a new foredom (and others) because they couldn't be repaired.....hell ya think they'd last more than 30 years >:D

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2014, 02:20:03 pm »
Cool! Looks like alot of fun. What are your favorite woods to carve?

Offline half eye

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2014, 06:46:54 pm »
Wizard...I have carved most woods for "sculptures" but for the "realistic" projects it's either basswood (linden) or tupelo gum.

Today was chore day so I only had the second half to do some work. Decided to work on roughing in the paired fins of the pike to get them roughly fit to the "rock". The deal in this case is that this fish is not swimming he's alive but "pinned down" so the fins are slightly different in shape and "wave" from a study of just a swimming fish. Also the body of the pike will need to be carved out where the Eagle's  right foot will have him pinned down, and the left pectoral may need to be re-done because the "first bite" will be in the area just between the pectoral and pelvic fins. Wont know exactly untill I carve the feet and have them positioned asnd the exact location of the torn-out piece of skin and flesh.

Anyway, here is where it stands now (the caudal fin will stay thick and unshaped till the last so it does not get broken while all the "handling" goes on.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2014, 01:06:43 am »
Man that is looking great !!!can't wait  to see the next steps ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2014, 09:44:02 am »
Very cool build along Rich.

Offline half eye

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2014, 06:21:00 pm »
here is the latest from today. Started on rough shaping the eagle. The first set of pics is how I start on these birds. start with the shoulder cuts and thin/taper the head and neck and work down to the upper cape and upper throat. Then progress downward to start to define the wings, leg feathers and belly area (second set of pics) so that's it for today.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2014, 06:22:09 pm »
second set of pics

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2014, 06:50:36 pm »
  I keep checking in Rich, really enjoying this...Your a talented man sir...
                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2014, 09:12:36 pm »
Here is the next 2 steps. First laying out the feather groups on the back, further defining the tail line, and the second set of photos is from starting to define the head detail and major neck feather groups.

If this is becoming too intrusive I can not post anymore till it's done. Please advise, and here are the photos in 2 sets.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2014, 09:14:01 pm »
second set