Author Topic: Got a newbie started! chasing a ring!  (Read 4585 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Got a newbie started! chasing a ring!
« on: August 09, 2014, 05:34:14 pm »
Well a guy I work with wanted me to make him a bow. So I asked him if he would be interested in making it himself.  He thought that was an awesome idea.  He didn't have. Much time today but I got him started with the best stave I have. It was a piece of Osage that I picked out for myself but he needed it worse than I did.

The guys name is Zac,  he was able to get the bark and sap wood off before he had to go.   He has informed me that he would be at my house every day after work to work on his stave.  Anyways here he is on his very first stave for his very first bow! 

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:00:03 am by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Got a newbie started!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 05:48:28 pm »
Awesome man!... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 05:57:48 pm »
Too cool.  Keep it up. 

Offline jasonoflivingston

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 06:52:32 pm »
Nice!  Huge thumbs up for getting someone into bow making and sharing the fun!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 07:06:50 pm »
Very cool Patrick. That's the way to pass  it on!  8)
 Get the back sealed before it checks. Even over night can be to long.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 10:47:38 pm »
Thanks a bunch guy's! I love talking to people about making bows. And PatB, I got 3 coats of shellac on the back of it for him. 

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:04:44 pm »
 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 11:10:24 pm »
Nice!
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 01:12:08 am »
Very nice - like post like this!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 04:17:15 am »
Good on You Patrick - two Thumbs up ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Jax666

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:36:38 am »
First I would love to have that bench/vice in the picture. Second I am thinking of build my own bow. I have a lot of hand tools. I would like to find where to get a good stave in Central IL? I am interest in a low draw plinking bow and might try backing with raw hide. Can anyone recommend a good book  to get started? I see the term board bow, is that a bow made from a board? I thought of Eastern Red Cedar or Osage, but not locked in to a wood. I am about 5'9" 200 lbs. 66 years and not real strong. My arms are fairly long. Any suggestions?

Offline WillS

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 08:41:30 am »
Man, that's awesome.  Not only that you've inspired somebody else, but that you had the generosity to give him your best stave, realising his need to learn on something that was guaranteed to make a good bow.  That's the coolest thing, and I wish him luck in working on it! 

Offline Drewster

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 08:56:08 am »
Lebhuntfish, good for you.  What good is a head full of knowledge if you're not willing to share it with others and pass it on?  Your generosity will be repaid many fold.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 09:32:39 am »
   very very cool

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 06:01:45 pm »
Thanks so much again guy's!  I'm not too sure about a head full of knowledge just yet but I can make a nice looking bow. That is if I ever get one finished before I start another one.  I have always enjoyed helping other people and I love to teach people the things I know.

He was on the phone with me for over an hour last night asking questions about his bow. Luckily they were all questions I had an answer to.  I will keep this page updated with his progress as he unveils his first Osage bow.  It might take a bit but I will be posting a lot of pictures too. Patrick