Author Topic: string waxing  (Read 9083 times)

Offline sailordad

string waxing
« on: January 03, 2008, 08:17:33 pm »
        I didn't know where to post this question,so i thought i would try it here
i have a couple of bow strings that were purchased from RUDDER ARCHERY and was just wondering if anyone could suggest what i should use for waxing the strings.
Would regular candle wax work? Or should I use the same wax that I use on my(curse word to follow) compound bow string.

Thanks to everyone,

Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline carpenter374

Re: string waxing
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:22:30 pm »
candle wax will work fine. you can use the same wax you use for compounds also. in a hunting situation a deer close enough (10 yards or less, further if downwind) may catch a whiff if you use scented wax though. don't know if a deer would go on alert to that smell or not. you'd just have to try it. i use an old "emergency candle" unscented. just rub a groove in the candle and smooth the wax with your fingers.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:11:45 pm »
I use bees wax on strings,wood, and everything.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:00:54 pm »
cool beans,thanks guys ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:07:31 pm »
Bee's wax works good for what little I've done, tried a candle once and it just crumpled up on me - course if I'd warmed it up some sure it would have worked fine. I go to the pharmacy in town (not a chain) they have bee's wax chunks in a box for some kind of medicinal purposes, but is pure and works great - kinda stickier somehow.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 12:10:55 am »
yeah, get real bees wax, not parafin. A real beeswax candle is a bit expensive, but will last a long time, as well. Church supply stores carry them, if you can't find them anywhere else.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:18:39 am »
Go buy a wax toilet seal ring from the hardware store. You will have a lifetime supply of string wax.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 06:37:49 am »
I use bees wax mixed with paraffin to keep it a little softer.Pure bees wax will get hard over
time and you have to heat it a little to soften it up.Mixed it stays plyable.The tubs you can get
most archery suppliers works fine for normal string maintenance but not to well for making strings.
It is not quite stiff enough at least for me. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 03:17:48 pm »
Pat do you mix the toilet bowl wax with anything to stiffen it up or just use it straight?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 04:29:22 pm »
Go buy a wax toilet seal ring from the hardware store. You will have a lifetime supply of string wax.  Pat

Pat B is very right, here.  I do melt a leftover candle or two into the wax ring.  The mixture lasts me years.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 06:39:58 pm »
Pat B,wished Id thought of the wax ring,made me recall a quote from some western movie "God let whiskey be created to keep the Irish from ruleing the world." Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 07:52:42 pm »
Make sure the toilet bowl ring wax is new and not used ;D Talk about smell :o
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 11:25:30 pm »
I made a blend of bees wax and toilet ring wax, stretches out the bees wax. just melt the bees wax in a small metal container over the stove, put in about half as much toilet wax, blend and pour into small dixie cups to solidify. I made about 4 little cups about 2 years ago and still have 2 left.
VB