Author Topic: A-typical Buck?  (Read 3470 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Re: A-typical Buck?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 11:14:07 am »
@Weylin & mullet:

Hey I'll remember that: you guys don't trust me!!!  8) 8) 8)

I once was a guest in a forester's house in eastern Poland who had a mount of one he killed on the wall; I knew what they were called but he explained me what actually caused that. He says they are very rare, and this one had no testicles at all.
This is the one:

Frank from Germany...

Offline GaryR

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 02:27:03 pm »
I would assume no testicles is a birth defect, if he was born with them and they were accidentally removed (torn off) I would imagine death from loss of blood would soon follow. Very strange, I'll probably never see one. 

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 07:08:56 am »
Gary, it was ten years ago, but if I remember the forester's explanation correctly you are right: they are born that way. I have seen thousands of roe deer, never saw one like that, so you are probably right there, too: you most likely will never see one.
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 07:11:19 am »
PS:

What I do remember correctly: this was one extraordinarily big buck, and the guy said that's normal for them.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Patches

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 02:27:35 pm »
The condition is caused by testosterone levels that are too low, be it from scrotal injury or other causes.  These deer have enough testosterone in their body to grow antlers, but not enought o shed the antler or even get out of the velvet stage.  So they keep the velvet voered antlers from one year utnilt he next, when they grow another set of antlers around the set from last year, giving it the "cactus" appearance.  There was a "cactus buck" killed here in Missouri in 2011 or 2012 that was actually a doe. 

"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."