Author Topic: About rasps....  (Read 6943 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
About rasps....
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:01:04 pm »
I have a couple of farrier's rasps, and a couple of wood rasps..  So far my technique either sucks or I have "used" up rasps..  A drawknife is far more effective for me...

Anyhow..  I came across this at an antique shop, $10 made in USA Nicholson... did I get a good deal?  Seems really sharp, haven't used it yet..

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: About rasps....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 09:29:14 pm »
Looks like a good one. You can sharpen your old rasps by soaking them overnight in vinegar and in the morning rinse them thoroughly in water with a couple tablespoons of baking soda mixed in the rinse water. It will kick the rust, then just let them air dry. Works great. If the file is loaded with wood or other debris use a pick or needle to remove before starting the process.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 11:01:42 pm »
If its still sharp its a good one.  Is it thicker than a normal farriers rasp? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 11:25:12 pm »
I love the one you gave me Clint. That thing will remove some wood with little effort.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline autologus

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 11:46:19 pm »
I really like my farriers rasp.  It is a Brazilian Diamond but it will chew through wood like an angry beaver.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 12:10:51 am »
Most of the nicholsons I have bought have honestly been too agressive. I got a set from harbor freight for about$3 that has become my go to. After 3 years they were getting to dull so I dropped another $3 and got a fresh set, the duller ones are still kept for finer work. Got a drawer full of nicholsons collecting dust.

All that said I am moving more and more toward using my flexcut drawknife and my scrapers for work I used to use a rasp for. Rasps and becoming more just handle shapers for me.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 12:37:58 am »
Bloodhound, not me, I'll take those good old Nicholson 49's and 50's, a Bellota or SaveEdge farriers rasp any day off the week. I'll buy you 10 of those harbor freights brand new for a good Nicholson.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 12:42:49 am »
I love the one you gave me Clint. That thing will remove some wood with little effort.

I like to use it to get a good thickness taper.  I can squat down beside the bow and work the rasp without putting any pressure on it.  The weight alone is enough to remove the wood and I can keep a close eye on the taper.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 01:19:59 am »
i'm with Fred on the bellota farriers rasp's, they are uber sharp and you can get like six with varying aggressiveness
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 02:47:05 am »
Aurioux rasps.......drool......
Yes there is a technique for using rasps. There are many times when an edged tool just won't do the job - that's what a rasp is for!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 08:28:51 am »
Looks like a good deal I use such a rasp quite a bit now days.  A couple years ago I screwed up one of my biceps and can no longer use a draw knife for extended periods. If there is a downside to rasp vs. drawknife it would be the buckets of dust a rasp produces.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 01:06:38 pm »
I bought a Dean Torges rasp about 5yrs ago and love it. Keep it wrapped in leather to protect the teeth and keep it clean of debris build up. It works like a dream. Was a bit pricey but I'm not complaining cuz properly cared for will last a lifetime. It has an agressive side and a finer side and the combo does all the rasp work I need. I go from draw knife to rasp to scrapper. I Would recomend it to anyone.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline GB

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 02:38:31 pm »
I'd say that's a great deal on a Made in USA Nicholson rasp.  The only reason I haven't bought one is because I've heard that the new ones made overseas aren't the same quality.  The Torges rasp sounds nice, too.  I bought a Bellota farrier's rasp 3 bows ago and I love it.  The coarse side takes wood off in a hurry and it's easy to control.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline autologus

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 03:02:36 pm »
I have one of the Torges UBR-10 rasps too and I will agree it is a very good rasp, I use it to clean up the farriers rasp marks and the fine side for tillering just before the scraper stage.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 03:31:56 pm »
I tried a load of different rasps and none of them were, are as good as my microplanes.