Author Topic: Bow backing  (Read 1658 times)

Offline streamflyer

Bow backing
« on: August 05, 2014, 06:36:01 pm »
What is the process of backing a stave with another wood. say hickory backed osage or some other belly wood. how do you prepare each piece given that they started out as split staves not cut boards? Is this when the block planes come out? if so how long of a block plane is necessary to end on?

Offline bushboy

Re: Bow backing
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 06:50:51 pm »
If you have acess to a table saw with a gate it will make things a lot easier.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 06:56:08 pm »
I just use a  farriers rasp and a scraper.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:58:05 pm »
I think I would opt for rawhide vs wood unless the stave is thin and needs more wood to make weight. It's much easier to apply and works well in most cases.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 07:40:40 pm »

Pray tell, what is a gate and how is one used ala the table saw?  I have never heard the term associated with the table saw and my inquiring mind wants  to know. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 08:12:42 pm »
I only back board staves with hard backings. I back tree staves with rawhide, sinew or other soft backings, rawhide primarily for insurance.  To back a tree stave with a hard backing you first have to decrown the stave making a flat back. Most backing strips are already flat except bamboo and you have to flatten that with a plane or belt sander.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline J05H

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 08:36:37 pm »

Pray tell, what is a gate and how is one used ala the table saw?  I have never heard the term associated with the table saw and my inquiring mind wants  to know.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to a fence. If not, then I'd like to know too.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline streamflyer

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 02:56:18 am »
gotcha. thanks guys. I was also thinking about attempting a board bow at some point but thought i might explore other options as well to get contrast.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 07:52:22 am »
Yes , meant fence
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.