Author Topic: Experiences with larch?  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Jodocus

Experiences with larch?
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:43:04 am »
This is a question to all the european guys hanging around here (if anyone else can answer, I don't care where you're from  ;))

Have you tried larch (Larix decidua)? I was whittling around on some last week, and tried a couple of splinters and shavings, flexing them and so on. It reacted quite pleasantly. Also, it looks a lot loke ERC or yew. So I thought it might be some use? On the other hand, coniferes mostly aren't. Larch is abundant here once you go above 4500 ft Elevation. And it makes some of the prettiest forests I've seen. Plus, it smells great.

Anyone tried yet?

Don't shoot!

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Experiences with larch?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:35:39 am »
ive often wondered the same thing. tim bakers wood list he mention "good bow reported", for eastern larch, and western larch that grows
closer to me is known to be strong wood, used for train tracks and heavy weight support beams. Not sure how your larch is in comparison.
Id say give it a shot. over build your first one, and see how she bends. I would probably go for the tension side of a big nice branch

Offline campx

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:18:15 am »
Glad this was brought up!  A buddy at work is clearing some land, and he has tamarack (larch) on his property.   I told hime to snag me some 6 foot pieces so I could giver a try.  The stuff I have seen around here is incredibly dense, high ring count per inch.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:44:46 am »
western larch would be better for arrows than a bow.. Closer to douglas fir
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 06:24:56 am »
I've got larix decidua as floor parquet in a mountain house. Colour is beatiful.
All i can tell you is that it's more delicate and prone to dent than many other conifers i've seen.
Really interested to know if it makes good bows anyway.