Author Topic: Otzi Revisited  (Read 6346 times)

Offline Zuma

Otzi Revisited
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:13:43 pm »
This guy was loaded with primitive shills.
It is a good read and I hope someone will make the link work as they
never do when I post them. In the meantime cut and paste to your browser.

Otzi The Iceman Had Heart Disease Genes, New Study Of Mummy Shows

Enjoy,Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Chas

Re: Otzi Revisited
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 01:32:35 pm »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 04:54:11 pm »
Cool.  Hardening of the arteries is not a modern disease.  Where are those tater chips?   ;D >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »
I would be very sceptical of those "findings" that Otzi had some kind of genetic predisposition towards heart disease. My first question would be, who are these scientists and who funds them? Perhaps the pharmaceutical companies. Weston A. Price did very sound science and showed heart disease doesn't show up in populations eating a healthy, balanced diet but then shows up once they abandon that diet in favour of junk food. Sound science would say you need at least 50 Otzis to prove that what they found isn't an anomaly or mutation. If they really did find something.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 06:06:51 pm »
I'd lay my money on after so many years dead they were pretty hard.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 06:31:20 pm »
And at least this gives his family some type of closure.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 11:30:37 pm »
In all seriousness, I tend to believe the findings that heart disease is due mostly to genetics.  That's probably why so many studies show contradictory findings as far a diet goes.

The trick is to find what CURES the heart disease in some populations.  That would be of GREAT interest to the pharmaceutical companies.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 09:45:32 am »
Well, My old man made it through 4 heart attacks before we figured out what was really causing them.
Gluten sensitivity, and a liver that refuses to stop making very low density lipids (VLDL's) with any dietary sugar or starch.
His immune system goes nuts when it encounters wheat proteins and inflames the arteries.  Over time, that inflamation results in atherosclerosis.  plaque builds, breaks off and heart attack.

The Heart Association really effed up when they decided to base their policy and advice on the top of a very, very shallow bell curve.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:58:03 am »
"Hi, I'm Otzi! Being diagnosed with a possible heart disease came as a real blow to me. I had always tried to manage my stress levels, maintain an active lifestyle, and eat a healthy, balanced diet. Yet, my village shaman looked into the ashes of his fire and saw that I had the genetic traits of heart disease. I was deeply concerned. How could I enjoy my quality of life with such a risk? But, luckily for me, there was Oakgallcor, the groundbreaking new heart medicine to manage today's rising risks from heart disease. Oakgallcor fights heart disease and allows me to live life to the fullest, free from anxiety and worry. I know what you're thinking: "How can a tiny little pill work such wonders?" Well, I used to think the same thing. But then I tried it and noticed a measureable difference in my life. Once again, I can enjoy burnt barley pancakes and wild grass seed gruel without concerns about what they might be doing to my arteries. Ask your village shaman if Oakgallcor is right for you."

"Ask your village shaman about Oakgallcor. Side effects may include severe nausea, explosive flatulence, frequent urination, a desire to walk about in blizzards, pelvic inflammation, blinding headaches, and being shot by arrows from rival tribes or even your own."

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 01:15:17 pm »
Interesting discussion!

Most people will die of heart disease.  And the greatest factor contributing to heart disease is age.  But a change to a mostly fruit/vegetable diet as they age allows people to live longer but they will still probably die of heart disease.  So what does all this mean?  It think it's pretty clear that people in general are genetically predisposed to heart disease.  It's strange how some people are surprised when genetics are mentioned as a cause for heart attacks.

Anyway, I see that there is definitely a benefit to dropping sugar and increasing fiber in my diet.  The hard part is dealing with being gassy and craving donuts all the time.   ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 01:44:55 pm »
"Hi, I'm Otzi! Being diagnosed with a possible heart disease came as a real blow to me. I had always tried to manage my stress levels, maintain an active lifestyle, and eat a healthy, balanced diet. Yet, my village shaman looked into the ashes of his fire and saw that I had the genetic traits of heart disease. I was deeply concerned. How could I enjoy my quality of life with such a risk? But, luckily for me, there was Oakgallcor, the groundbreaking new heart medicine to manage today's rising risks from heart disease. Oakgallcor fights heart disease and allows me to live life to the fullest, free from anxiety and worry. I know what you're thinking: "How can a tiny little pill work such wonders?" Well, I used to think the same thing. But then I tried it and noticed a measureable difference in my life. Once again, I can enjoy burnt barley pancakes and wild grass seed gruel without concerns about what they might be doing to my arteries. Ask your village shaman if Oakgallcor is right for you."

"Ask your village shaman about Oakgallcor. Side effects may include severe nausea, explosive flatulence, frequent urination, a desire to walk about in blizzards, pelvic inflammation, blinding headaches, and being shot by arrows from rival tribes or even your own."

Now that was funny. 

And for those pesky "performance" problems, see Alice. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 01:45:36 pm »
Most people dying of heart disease depends on where they are. Some Asian countries never had heart disease until they began to adopt a more Western diet. And the "Western" diet really isn't traditional, either. If there are genetic predispositions towards heart disease, it's probably Nature's way to culling the herd since we don't have any predators that chase us.

The traditional Asian diet was rice, fish, and a lot of vegetables. The traditional and ancient Indo-European (aka "Caucasians") diet was heavy in dairy and meat. The dairy products were all fermented; kefir, yoghurt, cheeses, and so forth. It wasn't until the Indo-Europeans moved off the steppes did they begin farming. One has to look at truly traditional diets to see what their heart disease rates are. Many traditional diets rely heavily on vegetables, grain, and a little meat. Some of them are dairy-heavy, but they're all fermented dairy products.

Fat meat, sugars, and salt were scarce among early peoples. Wars were waged over salt, for example. The Celts around Gaul gained a lot of their power and wealth because they controlled a salt mine. Most meat was lean because they were grazing. If you wanted sugar, you had to raid a beehive or find fruit, which was seasonal. The genetic markers might be there, but that doesn't necessarily mean heart disease would happen unless your people started eating a poor diet over several generations. Some animals species carry the markers for certain diseases that only turn up when they overpopulate, for example. People might say, "Hey, we can have sugar and salt every day, as much as we want!" and count that as proof of prosperity. But the piper must be paid regardless.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 01:46:26 pm »
Indeed. Go ask Alice. I think she'll know.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 06:59:07 pm »
Otzi is rolling in his grave. (glass cage).
Was he still plyable enough to have oily discharge if he took meds?
All kidding aside.
The present Chinese diet is relatively new. They once had all the meat and potatoes modern westerners attribute to heart disease.
They ate all their good stuff a couple thousand years ago.
Their diet is directed by their population and land area.
I would suggest heart disease in the west can be attributed to indoor plumbing and a much more sedentary life style along with processed junk food.
I agree with you'll that think we are to new to DNA research to suggest definitive
cause and effect.
I had no idea this thread would drift in this direction. (not so much primitive skill)
Although I like the content of opinions.
If a moderator wants to move this to Campfire, be my guest.
There is plenty to discuss. Thanks folks
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 07:32:37 pm »
The Chinese would not have had potatoes until after the 1500s. Potatoes are a New World food that only became available after Europeans landed upon the North and South American land masses. Then it took some time for people in the Old World to trust the New World foods.