Author Topic: Your take on bending handles  (Read 7564 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Your take on bending handles
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:54:42 pm »
Most of the bows I build now bend in the handle or right to the handle but only at full draw. I like to feel the handle give a bit as I hit full draw.
 I think folks that are not familiar with wood bow building consider a bendy handle bow to be an inferior weapon. If they only knew!

I'm with Pat, I like to feel my stiff handles bend at full draw, also. Most of the time I let the wood decide for me what it is going to be.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 04:10:31 pm »
I'm all about the short bendy handle bows. Just enjoy keeping things simple. And like blackhawk said, if you want a built up handle, just add cork, or leather. I don't really see myself making another stiff handle bow again, unless somebody request one from me.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline CustomArcher15

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 08:01:44 pm »
I see them as two different beasts. Bendy bows are nice too shoot and quite pretty and very nice on time to make, while the stuff handles are a little more comfortable and more forgiving and pleasant to shoot. Depends on what I want to make. I am torn on what to make for a bow trade I have coming up. I am thinking bendy handle for simplicity and size, but accuracy and standing out from other bows is harder to do with a bendy. I like both but only to satisfy my different needs.

Offline VicNova

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 12:58:04 am »
I think that bendy handles are quite pleasing to the eye and when the handle is built up, they are delightful to shoot.

This bow is a bendy handle with a rectangular cross section and it is really comfy to shoot.

You just can't beat that sweet full-compass tiller that you get with a bendy handle!
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline jasonoflivingston

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 08:59:46 am »
I have found it a bit harder to get used to the feel of a slimmer grip on bendy designs, but then I haven't done one with a particularly built up handle yet.  That being said, I really like bendy handles because, with good form, I have a draw length of 31" (I usually draw 30" because my form usually isn't so great).  Having that extra working length means I don't need a super long bow to accommodate my draw length.  Also, the bend makes the bow feel as though it isn't just a stick, but rather something that is almost alive in your hand.  You can never discount the way something feels as a valuable part of the experience.  That is part of why I shoot a lever action rifle.  It just feels slick and when you feel slick, you shoot slick.  Just my .02.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 08:02:03 am »
While building my first trade bow a couple of years ago, the handle popped off because of a slight bend in the handle. I built that handle up with leather and made several bendy handled ones after that. I did make the switch to cork, though. It seemed to be much easier to shape for me than the leather.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline 4dog

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 08:25:53 am »
like a stiff handle on heavier # nows..but a 50# bendy is really hard to beat for feel.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline campx

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 10:13:45 am »
My question on bendy handles is this.....when using 'marginal' white woods, ie, stuff that needs to be 1.5" to 2" wide so it doesn't explode, the handle would have to be almost as wide?!?  Thats a handful of wood, and something the arrow really has to bend around on release.  No big deal?
I ask this cuz I am building only my second bendy handle right now, and the handle portion is 1.75" wide.......Douglas maple, bunch of knots, decrowned (just because, no reason).  Got it on the short string, getting it to 22" of draw, looking pretty sweet so far.  Gotta go another 7" though.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 11:35:29 am »
No the handle shouldn't be as wide as the limbs, it shouldn't bend as much either
I like free stuff.

Offline JonW

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 12:27:06 pm »
My question on bendy handles is this.....when using 'marginal' white woods, ie, stuff that needs to be 1.5" to 2" wide so it doesn't explode, the handle would have to be almost as wide?!?  Thats a handful of wood, and something the arrow really has to bend around on release.  No big deal?
I ask this cuz I am building only my second bendy handle right now, and the handle portion is 1.75" wide.......Douglas maple, bunch of knots, decrowned (just because, no reason).  Got it on the short string, getting it to 22" of draw, looking pretty sweet so far.  Gotta go another 7" though.

Use a pyramid design when you need a narrowed handle.

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 12:44:22 pm »
I was just started using cork on my handles. Like blackhawk said, can't beat it! Its cheap, bends, and in my opinion might even help a bit with hand shock.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 02:22:18 pm »
Most of the bows I build now bend in the handle or right to the handle but only at full draw. I like to feel the handle give a bit as I hit full draw.
 I think folks that are not familiar with wood bow building consider a bendy handle bow to be an inferior weapon. If they only knew!

100% agree, i love that feeling too right before full draw

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 06:11:51 pm »
I like to make them and shoot them,, I think they shoot as well as any bow,,the last one I made shoots well and gets good numbers through the chrono as well,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 06:40:40 pm »
Campx, when you draw out your bow outline leave the handle wide. When you reduce the thickness, leave the handle area thicker(about 3/4") and tiller only the limbs. As you tiller, get the limbs bending well, narrow out the handle area(1 1/4" isn't uncomfortable) and about 5# to 10# over the desired draw weight work the limbs back into the fades and handle area so the handle only bends slightly as you hit full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 09:01:03 pm »
I went to town today to buy a car and stopped at Hobby Lobby for the cork. What's the best glue to use? I have cyco's, urac, TB III, and epoxy. I'm thinking a layer on the top and whatever it takes to get the shape I want on the belly side.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.