Author Topic: Your take on bending handles  (Read 7563 times)

Offline Newindian

Your take on bending handles
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:09:50 am »
I think that stiff handles are the norm for many of the bowyer's on this site, and I've noticed many people , especially non-primitive shooters, seam uncomfortable with bending handles. Personally I think that if it isn't bendy then it's just wasting space and forcing a bow to be longer and/or more stressed. My question for you is which handle do you prefer and why?
I like free stuff.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Your take on bending handles
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:16:55 am »
I prefer bendy's myself. I think mostly cuz i like short bows..and prolly cuz my 1st bow is a 56" bendy.. I have lost track of how many bows I've made..and they were most likely better than my 1st...but its still the bow i reach for when i head to the woods... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:38:25 am »
I just love shooting and making bows.  Bendy handles are real fun to make.  I see. To always make em bend too much in the handle, but I am working on getting em to bend less.  They are fun to shoo too.  I like of the handle bending at full draw.  But I love the comfort of a stiff handle so for me it's a toss up.  I am getting ready to post my favorite bendy yet in a couple of weeks. 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:48:53 am »
I'm with Matt.  Like 'em both.  I started by making stiff handle bows and was a bit intimidated about making a bendy, until I did and realized how easy it was.  Now I just let the stave I'm working on dictate which way I will go.  A bendy shot off the hand is hard to beat from a simplicity standpoint.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:51:33 am »
Most of the bows I build now bend in the handle or right to the handle but only at full draw. I like to feel the handle give a bit as I hit full draw.
 I think folks that are not familiar with wood bow building consider a bendy handle bow to be an inferior weapon. If they only knew!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:33:51 am »
I'm getting used to the bendy handle bows and must say I like them but my most comfortable grip has a little more mass in it. Probably the most comfortable grip I could compare it to would be the straight grip that Jerry Brumm ( GN Bows) uses on his Ghost and some of the longbows.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:48:17 am »
I'm getting used to the bendy handle bows and must say I like them but my most comfortable grip has a little more mass in it. Probably the most comfortable grip I could compare it to would be the straight grip that Jerry Brumm ( GN Bows) uses on his Ghost and some of the longbows.

You can get that custom comfy grip on bendys as well...the answers called CORK!!!! Glue as many ya want on to however thick ya want it back or belly or both sides, and shape it to your hearts desire..easy peasy!!! I love my cork built up bendy n slight bendy handle bows with a small shelf glued on for a "locator" feel/style

Offline autologus

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:09:16 am »
To me there is just something about feeling that handle bend in my grip, that and my shooting style favors a shorter bow.  But honestly I would not turn aside a stiff handle bow they are comfortable to shoot and beautiful looking at the rings cascading down the fades.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:52:59 am »
blackhawk, IYO is the cork easier to use and work better than leather for the buildup. I've used leather, never tried cork.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:18 am »
Ill take a 65" stiff handle when push comes to shove.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:00:40 pm »
blackhawk, IYO is the cork easier to use and work better than leather for the buildup. I've used leather, never tried cork.

Yes..without a doubt...I used to do the leather thing,but switched to cork...after the switch I said to myself what the hell was I thinking,and what took me so long to try it. It cuts,glues,shapes way easier n faster, and its better than leather IMO. And not nearly as bad superglue smoke and fumes burning your eyes and nose from the reaction it gets with leather...and did I mention it cuts with a rssp like butter..one stroke two stroke and done!!!  :laugh:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 12:19:31 pm »
I have not tried cork but have been using leather to fill out the back of the handle for years. I prefer a bulbous style handle and the rounded leather on the back really fills the hand well. To each his own!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 12:35:09 pm »
No preference here. Made them all and like them all. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JonW

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 12:43:18 pm »
Everyone knows I like shorties, but I am more like PatB. I like them to bend just a little at full draw. Actually when making a Pyramid design I like the handle somewhat stiff and have it bending right up to the handle.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 12:49:53 pm »
In my eyes simplicity is beauty.  The last several bows I've made were bendy handle and I try to keep them fairly short.  You can really feel your shot when you feel the bend and the arrow slide across your knuckle while you draw.  You know if it's a good shot a split second before you release.  I guess it forces your senses to be more aware and I like being able to feel the bend and the arrow on my knuckle.  If anyone hasn't made one yet you ought to make at least one and see how you like it.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!