Author Topic: My First Bow...  (Read 8503 times)

Offline Staver

My First Bow...
« on: January 04, 2008, 05:24:50 pm »
Well Pat, here it is!!

I started my first bow on September 22nd and finished it on December 16th, 2007.  Finding time to work on it was a bit of a challenge; I have 2 girls, one 2 years and the other 4 months old, so I was up to my hips changing diapers and working on time mangagment!! ;D  I read Cherokee Bows and Arrows by Al Herrin and decided I want to do what everyone else on this site is doing.  So I bought an osage stave from Jamie Easter and started putting my hands to work.  What a great time I've had working on this bow and it's a lot of fun to shoot.  Anyway, It's supposed to be a traditional Cherokee handle bow 68" ntn and draws 50 lbs @ 28".  It has simple nocks and a knot that goes completely through the upper limb.  I considered hollowing it out, but it looks cool the way it is matching the knot below the handle.  I don't know what else to say about it except it's one of the coolest things I've done.  I look forward to learning more and can't wait to start working on the next one!! :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: My First Bow...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:28:42 pm »
Looks like a fine bow, especially for your first, and really especially having to change diapers while working on it ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Tom B

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 06:26:42 pm »
Love it.Great job.First? Elegance is simple,not easy.Tom

Slaughter

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 06:34:02 pm »
AWSOME!
I'm glad to see a first effort turn out that sweet, it gives Me a confidence boost. Im about to start my first and can only hope it turns out half as good.   Tony

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 06:37:34 pm »
very nice...great job....Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 06:46:41 pm »

Wow, you really did a great job on your first one! The tiller looks really good and so does everything else about the bow. Good looking finish job also. What did you use to finish/seal the bow with? ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 06:53:33 pm »
Well, there it is! ;D  Great bow especially for your first. Tiller looks good and your execution with the rest of the bow looks good too. Congrats.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 07:27:47 pm »
It looks like you did a great job on her, I find the dual rests interesting, can ya shoot either hand.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 07:33:35 pm »
looks great. you did an excellent first job. your off and running. im sure we will see more from you in the future. keep up the good work- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

a finnish native

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 07:34:36 pm »
nice bow, espesially for your first. I would have bropught the outer limbs to bend a bit more, but I see nothing wrong with that kinda tiller because the bow is quite long.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 08:15:53 pm »
Wow, great job! If that's your first, I'm sure looking forward to seeing your twentieth.  ;D Tiller looks nearly perfect to me, and great attention to detail. That's an excellent, simple, functional design, and it should give you many years of shooting. Keep up the good work!
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 10:15:01 pm »
Great job! Be it your first or your last....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 10:04:23 am »
Good job man. you have more guts than me. I am waiting until I finish a few boards bows before I tackle my Osage stash. Tiller looks perfect. When you gonna start the next one?  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Far East Archer

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 10:41:34 am »
Superb bow mate! :) Looks like it will serve you well for many years to come. Now its time for a little wood harvesting expedition, yes? lol ...now the fun begins >:D

-Alex

Offline Jbell

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 11:05:40 am »
That is outstanding for your first or tenth bow! Looks like you have a bright future in bowbuildong. ;)
Justin Blunt