Author Topic: Hi.nylon backing  (Read 6751 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Hi.nylon backing
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 06:27:05 pm »
There are no "merits" just "properties".  :P
 Things certainly get blurry when we freely discuss and tout the benefits of FF and Dacron over natural fibers for bowstring and a bow really isn't a bow until you put the string on it.

Offline scp

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 07:54:22 pm »
I still wonder why on earth modern glues and finishes are acceptable here.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 08:41:28 pm »
Because they have been allowed since the beginning of the site. You can use all natural glues if you want but we do allow a few modern synthetic materials and finishes. Actually you will probably be applauded for using all natural materials, finishes and glues. I do this stuff for fun, not to be realistic.
 The rules were set up to allow as many folks to get involved in this fun and still be traditional. If everyone had to use only natural materials this site probably wouldn't be here. I am proud to be a part of a site that has turned so many folks on to the fun of wood bow building.
 The earlier issues of PA magazine were pretty close to all natural materials but it's hard to survive as a magazine with a few stave sellers or folks selling sinew, hide glue or whatever. It took modern advertising to keep PA afloat and without PA we have no site. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 08:55:57 pm »
Because they have been allowed since the beginning of the site. You can use all natural glues if you want but we do allow a few modern synthetic materials and finishes. Actually you will probably be applauded for using all natural materials, finishes and glues. I do this stuff for fun, not to be realistic.
 The rules were set up to allow as many folks to get involved in this fun and still be traditional. If everyone had to use only natural materials this site probably wouldn't be here. I am proud to be a part of a site that has turned so many folks on to the fun of wood bow building.
 The earlier issues of PA magazine were pretty close to all natural materials but it's hard to survive as a magazine with a few stave sellers or folks selling sinew, hide glue or whatever. It took modern advertising to keep PA afloat and without PA we have no site. 

Well said Pat B,  Thank you for being a Moderator, I'm glad you are.......
Respectively,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 10:26:26 pm »
deer hide is my favorite backing ,,, it is light enough that it does not slow the bow down,, but it will protect the back,, and hold a splinter,, it is very strong,, and beautiful when finished,,,

Offline Renacs

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 10:57:25 pm »
I love this site, but this guy posted a simple question on his first post. And in response his post led to a debate of what is appropriate for this site. Do I need to say anymore? P.s. to me primitive me being resourceful. Modern or not. Basically cheap.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 11:22:50 pm »
Renacs,

You are right. I watched and let it go all day till it got highjacked. The rules are simple. Also when you register you are asked if you have read the Rules.

And it never fails, then the debate starts about glue, boards, plastic, epoxy, and on and on. Gets really boring after you see it every 6 months. Oh, and then there is the same ones that want to question the rules to stir the pot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 11:39:38 pm »
Renacs,

You are right. I watched and let it go all day till it got highjacked. The rules are simple. Also when you register you are asked if you have read the Rules.

And it never fails, then the debate starts about glue, boards, plastic, epoxy, and on and on. Gets really boring after you see it every 6 months. Oh, and then there is the same ones that want to question the rules to stir the pot.

Did you call? ;) I do have to say if you have Binghams as a advertiser, it really does send mixed messages.....doesn't it? Like all things in life, change is going to happen.....why not have a place for partial synthetic bows??? Come on guys things need to evolve. :)

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 11:48:40 pm »
They do have a place Brian, it's around the campfire
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Renacs

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 11:51:46 pm »
But I do agree that the modern stuff needs to be kept in check some. That's why I stay away from the other sites. All fiberglass stuff, but give the new guy a break and stead him in the right direction.  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 12:02:53 am »
This thread started out good with quite a few good replies to the original post. But after no acknowledgement it went off kilter. Not the first time that's happened, either. That's why we Admins and Mods get paid the big bucks.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 03:00:04 am »
They do have a place Brian, it's around the campfire

I'm just giving Eddie a hard time......I know the rules. :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 07:42:08 am »
Brian; you know I'll just call you up and tell you to "bite me" :).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 07:52:14 am »
My apologies for bringing it up in the first place.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline scp

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 08:22:58 am »
Integrity can be too harsh without reasonable compromise. In my book, even brown paper is as modern as nylon. If artificial sinew is as good as the real one, I would have no problem in using it. I would love to see a bow backed with pre-stretched nylon and hide glue. Still I would try burlab before nylon.