Author Topic: favorite stains and finishes  (Read 7370 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

favorite stains and finishes
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:21:23 am »
What are some of your guys' favorite staining and finishing methods? Might give some of us some new ideas. I would like to try something different. Pictures would help

Offline Crogacht

Re: favorite stains and finishes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:44:50 am »
I can't give much experience myself, but I can point you at some bow with amazing finishes :D

Weylin puts out some bows with amazing finishes, so you can check those out here and find details.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=7657

Also, Gordons build along is a constant source of inspiration.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3895.135.html

Here's a list of relevant posts on PA:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=primitive+archer+bow+finishes+site:www.primitivearcher.com&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955

Hope those provide some inspiration since I have little first hand experience to share.

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:14:42 am »
My all time fave finish is simply Danish Oil.  About 5 coats gives a really nice "sheen" without looking like shiny modern poly finishes, plus it provides a nice tough scratch-free finish. 

Otherwise, for traditional finishes for my yew warbows I'll just use pure beeswax applied in about 4 coats, each one heated slightly with a hair dryer or heat gun so it melts into the wood fibres. 

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:06:52 am »
I like trueoil, I have used spray on poly, wipe on poly, spray on shellac and I like them all but I like trueoil best.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:25:04 am »
I don't stain osage. I like it's natural darkening which doesn't take long. I have used leather dye and Rit dye in alcohol for whitewoods.  One I like for hickory and ash and other whitewoods is hand rubber oil finish with finely ground charcoal.
  For finish I have used Tru-Oil for many years. For hunting bows I add a quick spray of satin poly over the high gloss Tru-Oil finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:54 am »
I use Formby's tung oil finish.  It comes in both high and low gloss options.  Hardens reliably, a few coats gives a nice protective finish, and the oil base really soaks in and brings out the best in wood grain.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:58:52 am »
There's a real good water based staining tints called trans tint.  Very strong stuff.  A little goes a long way.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:04:22 am »
Rit dissolved in denatured alcohol or any water based stain is what I use on white woods. Final finish is 3 coats of spar urethane.

Osage gets 3 coats of Tru Oil folloed by 3 coats of spar urethane. I like the way Tru Oi seals up the pores.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 10:18:32 am »
I don't much like stain.
Many years ago when I was a kid I made a lovely crossbow pistol, the stock was of plywood (yeah I know that's awful  :-[ ) which had a nice contour effect, I stained the stock with "Mahogany" stain...
It came out the colour of a Lady of ill Repute's Lipstick >:(  :o
I had to sand it down and do it over with Dark Oak, ironically where the Mahogany had gone deep into the end grain it sort of gave it a cool highlight effect.
Del
Here's my guide to commercial stain colours available in the UK.
Mahogany= Tart's lipstick
Pine= Yellow
Dark Pine= Brown
Teak= Brown
Oak= Brown
Dark Oak=Black
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 12:34:12 pm »
I don't much like stain.
Many years ago when I was a kid I made a lovely crossbow pistol, the stock was of plywood (yeah I know that's awful  :-[ ) which had a nice contour effect, I stained the stock with "Mahogany" stain...
It came out the colour of a Lady of ill Repute's Lipstick >:(  :o
I had to sand it down and do it over with Dark Oak, ironically where the Mahogany had gone deep into the end grain it sort of gave it a cool highlight effect.
Del
Here's my guide to commercial stain colours available in the UK.
Mahogany= Tart's lipstick
Pine= Yellow
Dark Pine= Brown
Teak= Brown
Oak= Brown
Dark Oak=Black

Haha Thats true about alot of the stains I use too

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:41:46 pm »
If I stain I prefer alcohol based dyes, they dry fast and they aren't tacky at all. I like tru oil, tung oil, shellac (as a base coat) Deft, Helmsman and any other poly. Its all good if done as directed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 01:11:30 pm »
I've come to like the Fiebing's Leather Dyes.  They really take to and highlight the grain of the wood's natural character very well.  Just a dab will do ya, but the effect is very nice IMHO...  I generally go over the dye job with Tru-Oil or Wipe-On poly.

OneBow

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 01:12:22 pm »
Mostly finish w tru oil, but I have had issues with it when finishing ipe, so on ipe I use laquer in a spray can (min wax). 

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 03:24:29 pm »
I have used minwax stains and wipe on and spray on poly for several years now and I would like to get a little more creative at least with my staining.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 04:22:24 pm »
I like my homemade mixture of hardening oil for finish (transparent).
I have a collection of several earth pigments which I use as paint (+hideglue)
In the last days I did some experiments with ammonia, I've got really interesting results. Will post soon.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany