Author Topic: walnut  (Read 4608 times)

blackhawk

Re: walnut
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 01:46:08 pm »
Well Guy, I don't know what part of the buckeye you call home, but the next time I get a load that way I'll shoot you a pm.  I would be more than happy to chase the rings on them for ya.  Josh

Ya wanna stop by my way too,and chase some rings for me?  ???  :laugh:

Offline DavidV

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »
I have always had a love for the look of walnut heartwood.  When I started into this bowbuilding addiction, I fell in love with the look of sapwood over heartwood in the ELB.  The idea of a sapwood/heartwood ELB of walnut makes me giddy. 

Unfortunately, I hear walnut is not really the wood for that design, so I guess I am left with nothing but a fantasy.
I guess the idea of a maple backed walnut flatbow will have to suffice for now.  If you do chase that dragon, please post LOTS of pics for me.  Good fortune to you, good sir!

JW, my third or fourth bow was a long(72" ntn) and narrow walnut sapling bow. A bit like an ELB but with a flat belly. Back was sapwood and belly heartwood but I didn't chase any rings. Took a ton of set from moisture because it went from tree to bow in about 3 weeks, still one of the hardest hitters I made and from what my friend tells me it's still going strong.
Springfield, MO

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 03:23:54 pm »
I have always had a love for the look of walnut heartwood.  When I started into this bowbuilding addiction, I fell in love with the look of sapwood over heartwood in the ELB.  The idea of a sapwood/heartwood ELB of walnut makes me giddy. 

Unfortunately, I hear walnut is not really the wood for that design, so I guess I am left with nothing but a fantasy.
I guess the idea of a maple backed walnut flatbow will have to suffice for now.  If you do chase that dragon, please post LOTS of pics for me.  Good fortune to you, good sir!

JW, my third or fourth bow was a long(72" ntn) and narrow walnut sapling bow. A bit like an ELB but with a flat belly. Back was sapwood and belly heartwood but I didn't chase any rings. Took a ton of set from moisture because it went from tree to bow in about 3 weeks, still one of the hardest hitters I made and from what my friend tells me it's still going strong.

Without pictures, it never happened!  >:D  You know, this is only fueling my desire for one of these!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 04:13:24 pm »
Well Guy, I don't know what part of the buckeye you call home, but the next time I get a load that way I'll shoot you a pm.  I would be more than happy to chase the rings on them for ya.  Josh

Ya wanna stop by my way too,and chase some rings for me?  ???  :laugh:

Chris
My wife is going to be down in the mountains this weekend ,I will send a couple of splits with her so you can help too,
She will meet you in Washington Pa sat afternoon
Don't want you to feel left out
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 08:07:22 am »
I split out another half log last night  to many knots to try for inside split so all white splits from it
I did peel the bark on the half log that is left without knots and rolled it for the possibility of a quiver not sure how walnut bark works for a Quiver but figured I might as well try it out
I sprayed the half log down with shellac and moved it into the cool of the garage I hope it will hold next week when I get back from the Christian Bow hunters  National shoot
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !