Author Topic: sinew glue up question?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
sinew glue up question?
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:41:29 pm »
I have a bow that I put sinew on a while back and I used tightbond II. I know should have used hide glue but I was new and it was my first time. Anyways, I'm going to put more sinew on the bow.  My question is, can I put the new sinew over the existing and use hide glue to apply the new? Or should I use the tightbond again? Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: sinew glue up question?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:46:19 pm »
Using dissimilar glues may not be the best, especially since the PVA clue isn't going to absorb any of the hide glue.  I doubt the glue interfaces would be the best.  I would say continue with the Titebond again.  But only AFTER you sand the back of the bow to give you a fresh glue up surface. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:51:13 pm »
Hide glue and TB glue are compatible but I doubt their adhesive strength would be adequate. I'd stick with the TB glue. Why are you adding more sinew to a mistake? Save it for the next sinew backed bow you plan.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:48:54 am »
Thanks guy's, it's my first bow. I finished it at mojam. I wane a mistake while finishing up one of the static reflex tips and now they are both bending. I should also say that the sinew didn't go part the static section of the limb so now the bending tips are bare. I was given instruction by Wayne from Kansas city to put sinew over the whole back all of the way to the nocks. Besides I wouldn't mind gaining a little weight to it to. I will use the tightbond to apply the sinew this time as well. Thanks guy's, Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:40:37 am »
Far better to re- build up the belly side of your statics than add sinew to the back of the curves.