Author Topic: Late 1800s chinese bow  (Read 6364 times)

Offline SeanStuart

Late 1800s chinese bow
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:43 pm »
This is a colorized pic, from 1860. The bows are pretty crazy long! It seems like they would not have any draw weight? Any thoughts on this.

Offline PatM

Re: Late 1800s chinese bow
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:37:11 pm »
Japanese bows. The draw weight would be deceptive. By that I mean the bows are drawn about 8 inches farther than typical.

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 10:07:25 pm »
I believe they are called Yumi, though I don't know much about them. It seems to me that the limiting factor for a reasonably high draw weight would be the short lower limb.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 10:49:07 pm »
Yumi bow are known to also have high draw weights, the shorter lower limb has no bearing on limiting draw weight.

Offline J05H

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 10:52:00 pm »
I stand corrected. :) Like I said, I don't know much about them.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline coyote1956

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:04:50 pm »
There is a man named  Yumi   "Nacht Wacht"  may have mispelled his name there, he builds thes and other exotic bows puts on clinics at bow shows , "Drapenmeyer"  spelling again...  is his last name he frequents these web sights i know he is on leatherwall at times,  Im sure if he sees this he can explain , looks crazy though, the one far left looks to have arrow nocked pretty low ?   I guess they know what they are doing, And they bare bow arm to show manliness!  Yumi is the style of Bow.
A Kyudo shoot or ceremony. It is a Martial art in Japan. So says the book.
thats all I know, there is a good book Traditional archey from 6  continents good info, and intersting. Ken 
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:12:40 pm »
"Jaap Koppedrayer"
 The bare arm is also because the bowstring is in no danger of slapping the arm but you still wouldn't want it catching on a billowing sleeve.

Offline coyote1956

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 11:15:47 pm »
PatM got his name right !   He is good guy to talk with and interesting. 
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:48:21 am »
What I find crazy are the guy on the left's shoes!
The way they shoot these bows is (to me at least) pretty nuts. Have a look on youtube for some examples 'yumi/ kyudo archery' should get you there.

Offline WillS

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 03:52:13 am »
They're not shoes, they're "Pattens" - designed to keep hand stitched delicate shoes out of the dirt.  You'd find exactly the same thing in medieval England, but nobody talks about them cos they look bonkers.

The bows are nice.

::)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 03:03:30 pm »
And once you get the hang of it they are quite comfortable to walk in. Jaap lives in Southern Georgia.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 03:34:13 pm »
Google Yumi Bows. That should give you Jaap's website.
 You don't want to be on the receiving end of one of those arrows. I'd bet they rarely miss their mark.
 I think one reason for the shorter lower limb was for horse archery.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 04:35:56 pm »
Here I thought the short bottom limb was for you short folk !!! >:D :laugh:

Jaap and Kay are good people for sure , I was glad they made it to Marshall this year ,we had not seen them in awhile
That reminds me I owe Kay something , I better get a hold of her before she sends the hounds after me!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:40:21 pm by Buckeye Guy »
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 06:07:07 pm »
The short lower limb is also for kneeling style shooting which features prominently in Kyudo.

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 06:18:32 pm »
Very interesting bows. I have studied them quite a bit. Most info thus far has been pretty accurate, they are called "yumi" longbows. They were used almost exclusively in Japan. The earlier types were constructed out of hardwoods like maple and mulberry, same as regular selfbows. They actually became longer over the course of time that they were in use. They are built highly reflexed, and over the years when lamination techniques were perfected, they were  built out of composite materials, hardwood, bamboo, animal glue, ect'. Towards the end of their era of use they were made out of bamboo only. And as seen in the pic' above, they were asymetrical with the top limb longer than the bottom limb. Hope this helps. Arrows were almost always made of bamboo. They were very long, and were drawn significantly farther than the average draw today, often several inches pat the ear.