Author Topic: How to seal a bow?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline 4giveme

How to seal a bow?
« on: July 23, 2014, 04:51:36 pm »
Hi all,
I was wondering if I could seal a bow using hide glue, instead of polyurethane or some other paint or commercial glue. I would think that the hide glue would protect the bow from a rapid exchange of moisture in the same way. Not only that, I think it would protect the bow while working on it after I have chased a ring. Has anyone tried it, and what was the result?
God Bless,
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: How to seal a bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 04:55:18 pm »
Being a water based glue, Id guess it would dissolve right off the bow in short order.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 04:57:37 pm »
Hide glue is probably more hygroscopic than the wood. There are other natural sealants like animal fat, pine pitch or bees wax that would work better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 06:14:21 pm »
Funny my hide glue stirring stick is caked with hide glue and I've not yet had any success washing it off. I imagine if you submerged your bow for days on end than it would come off. Try it.

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:25:56 pm »
Oglala, I don't think it's a matter of the glue coming off as it is it's hydroscipic nature. In sealing a bow we are trying to slow the rate in which our bows gather moisture. I'm with Pat, I don't think it's a good idea. IMO going with a wax finish is a great "natural" finish.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:21:21 pm »
Tru oil

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956